• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would the panel do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would the panel do?

Just started a new contract - about a month into what was mooted to be a years contract for one of the big consultancies based on the clients site. Easy money - lucrative rate and fully expensed so keen to run it to completion

Yesterday in walks a permie and gets introduced as doing the same role - it appears to be more a case of Project incompetence than anything more sinister as the stream PM and TA were not aware of his coming in either and there is some internal politics kicking around which I've so far managed to avoid, but this may be someones attempt at putting the PM in place (as he & the TA recruited me)

I've got a meeting with the PM later where I'll discuss but ...realistically any way to save this situation, my gut feeling is to get back onto the market

Poll to follow
    You're toast get out of there asap
    0.00%
    Hang in there - it will sort itself out
    50.00%
    Arrange for the permie to have an 'accident'
    8.33%
    Stay but look for a new contract and leave on your terms
    33.33%
    sustitute AndyW and run like hell
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Offer to train him up as your replacement then after a couple of weeks them tell them he's clueless.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Hide whenever your PM comes around.

Comment

Easy money - check
        Lucrative rate - check
        Fully expensed - check

Keep a finger in the market and if something 'better' comes along, take it and go on your own terms.

If not, keep in invoicing until they toe your arse out the door, which obviously, may never happen.

Every single contract at some point will end up with you having a 'why am I here ?' moment, for one reason or another. If you let it worry you, you'll never be comfortable in any role.

In my last role at Lloyds, I was doing a really crappy reporting role between Accenture testers/test managers/Pm's and senior retail banking managers. The role was entirely unneccesary. At one point, I said it was akin to opening a paper shop in Halifax town centre and advertising that we "delivered yesterday's news, the day after tomorrow", but management 'couldnt live without it' and a two month gig ended up lasting nearly a year with several extensions.

Just keep doing what you do until someone tells you not to.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
        X