• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iain Duncan Smith has just gone up in my estimation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC News - One in four riot suspects had 10 previous offences

Last month the inner city finally came to call, and the country was shocked by what it saw," said the work and pensions secretary.

"This was criminal activity, and it is right that it has been treated as such in the courts. But this response will only take us so far," wrote Mr Duncan Smith.

"We cannot simply arrest our way out of these riots."

He said: "Too many people have remained unaware of the true nature of life on some of our estates."

Many of these "dysfunctional communities ... had become fertile grounds for drug dealers, gang recruiters and violent moneylenders".

For young people in these areas, gangs were filling "a vacuum left by other figures of authority, particularly the family".

This "vacuum of authority" was accompanied by a "distorted morality" that allowed looters to view "an absence of police protection as an open invitation to steal".
    You also need to look at making it easier for people to be both parents and workers. We have some of the longest working hours in Europe and they aren't getting shorter. Flexible working is all well and good but when you have people working 50hrs or more a week to make ends meet and travelling an hour each way that doesn't leave much quality time with the kids however you slice it.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BBC News - One in four riot suspects had 10 previous offences

You also need to look at making it easier for people to be both parents and workers. We have some of the longest working hours in Europe and they aren't getting shorter. Flexible working is all well and good but when you have people working 50hrs or more a week to make ends meet and travelling an hour each way that doesn't leave much quality time with the kids however you slice it.
    wdds
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Well, you better get him out of there then 'cos that'll smart like hell in a day or so.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Well, you better get him out of there then 'cos that'll smart like hell in a day or so.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Full marks to him for seeing the issues - now let's see him sort 'em out.

I have always had a fair bit of time for him.

Comment

I thought this was going to be another article where an MP blames anyone but himself.

Pleasantly suprised by this line:

"Whether in the banking crisis, phone hacking or the MPs' expenses scandal, we have seen a failure of responsibility from the leaders of our society."
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              I thought this was going to be another article where an MP blames anyone but himself.
              A point of order - who did you mean by MP:

1) Mary Poppins
              2) Member of Parliament
              3) Mont Pellier (a city in southern France)

?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                A point of order - who did you mean by MP:

1) Mary Poppins
                2) Member of Parliament
                3) Mont Pellier (a city in southern France)

?
                Mary Poppins for prime minister is what I say!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Mary Poppins for prime minister is what I say!
                  Me too so long as become the Chancellor of the Exchequer - low taxes for everyone who pays them and very rough justice for those who try to evade them

Comment

Is there a rude version of the Guiness Book of Records?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X