• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poisoned chalice project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poisoned chalice project

Week 2 on the project and I just met with the business analyst who should have handed over to me in week 1. (Edit - to be fair not his doing)

The generic process designed by him is a high level overview and each department has their own variations on a theme. The consultancy has quoted for delivering the generic process, yet from my workshops it is clear that if this is delivered no one will use the system.

No hope of redefining the project plan, revisiting the requirements. Also the stakeholders are either on holiday, too busy to attend workshops or cannot be arsed.

It also appears there are other stakeholders that need to be involved that have not been so there are huge requirements gaps.

I am supposed to be preparing the f-spec for sign off by next Friday.

What do I do?

Poll to follow.
    Just walk, don't look back.
    5.00%
    Deliver crap and slope the shoulders.
    12.50%
    Try and negotiate
    20.00%
    Nobody cares, stfu
    42.50%
    AndyW's mum is the project manager.
    2.50%
    Twat the project manager
    17.50%
    Last edited by suityou01; 15 September 2011, 10:16.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Ask yourself "What would MF do?" and plumb for the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Ask yourself "What would MF do?" and plumb for the opposite.
      Damn, need a "twat the project manager" option in the poll. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        I was thinking more along the lines of "Whinge like a bitch", you're not doing too badly in that department. Are you taking lessons?

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of "Whinge like a bitch", you're not doing too badly in that department. Are you taking lessons?
          Don't really need any

Whinging is where there are good options available but you'd prefer to piss and moan.

Comment

Yes. From me. I know you pitched for the contract but as the spec said 'Must have at least 1 GCSE'. Good luck next time though.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The BA is a fellow CUKer

Comment

Don't really need any

Whinging is where there are good options available but you'd prefer to piss and moan.
                I'll send you an MP3 of the architect here going off on one! Not only does he get louder but his voice raises in pitch also.

Comment

FTFY.

Get a copy of the book "Deathmarch", by Yourdon. Read it through, then decide what to do. Meanwhile, keep billing.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Week 2 on the project and I just met with the business analyst who should have handed over to me in week 1. (Edit - to be fair not his doing)

The generic process designed by him is a high level overview and each department has their own variations on a theme. The consultancy has quoted for delivering the generic process, yet from my workshops it is clear that if this is delivered no one will use the system.

No hope of redefining the project plan, revisiting the requirements. Also the stakeholders are either on holiday, too busy to attend workshops or cannot be arsed.

It also appears there are other stakeholders that need to be involved that have not been so there are huge requirements gaps.

I am supposed to be preparing the f-spec for sign off by next Friday.

What do I do?

Poll to follow.
                    Do what you can and where there a gaps draw a picture of a cloud with "Something wonderful happens here" written in it.

On a serious note.

Fill the gaps as best you can. Make assumptions about the remaining gaps and be sure to explain those assumptions in your report.

You know the drill.

Sh!t happens.

Oh and don't forget to invoice!

Comment

Working...
                    X