• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business vehicle insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business vehicle insurance

I'm currenly getting quote for business vehicle insurance - as in real business - as in delivery van. This time next year rodders style.

I am having problems getting it less than £3k/year with the criteria I require becuase I have someone of the age of 22 who will be doing some work for me so therefore would like them insured to drive the van.

With any driver over 25 the policy is coming out at circa £500.

So, if as a business it costs a premium of £2.5K to add someone under 25 to the insurance, especially when I expect them to do fetching and carrying, then how the fook am I meant to give someone of this age a fooking job. Bastard insurance companies. </Rant>

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    I'm currenly getting quote for business vehicle insurance - as in real business - as in delivery van. This time next year rodders style.

I am having problems getting it less than £3k/year with the criteria I require becuase I have someone of the age of 22 who will be doing some work for me so therefore would like them insured to drive the van.

With any driver over 25 the policy is coming out at circa £500.

So, if as a business it costs a premium of £2.5K to add someone under 25 to the insurance, especially when I expect them to do fetching and carrying, then how the fook am I meant to give someone of this age a fooking job. Bastard insurance companies. </Rant>
    Aren't there grants and things for employing young people? I wonder if there's something you can claim. After all, you're not allowed to discriminate on age alone.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      Aren't there grants and things for employing young people? I wonder if there's something you can claim. After all, you're not allowed to discriminate on age alone.
      Good point, Thanks. I'll get 'er indoors to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        Good point, Thanks. I'll get 'er indoors to look into it.
        Can you let us know what you find - I am in a similar boat

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
          Can you let us know what you find - I am in a similar boat
          Not sure about boats, but i'll let you know about young peoples grants.

So, they can drink, smoke, have kids, drive, stick things up their bum all pretty legally, but if they want to insure a car to get to a job, for instance, then they are financially penalised. And if their employer requires them to be insured on a car then their employer is financially penalised - madness. Shouldn't they be treated as adults? <\Still ranting>

Comment

Its always been that way, when i was a lad back in the day i used to apply for van driving jobs and no one would touch you under 25 cos they could not get insurance, alot of these companies you see with young drivers just insure third party with such a massive excess they never bother claiming if the vehicle is damaged /stolen

Comment

Could you pass ownership of the van to the young person and get them to insure it for personal (non-business) use only. Then if they are stopped they deny using it for business use; it will be up to the police to prove that journey was for business, which might not be all that easy.

Besides the fine for no insurance is £200 + 6 points. Might be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Besides the fine for no insurance is £200 + 6 points. Might be worth it.
                It's only worth it if you plan to go to jail for next 5 years and won't be needing any motor insurance.

Comment

Working...
                X