• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So here's the plan....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here's the plan....

Hello folks,

I thought I would run my plan past some experts to see if you can offer me any advice or point out any glaring omissions.

Background :

15 years in banking, worked right across the domain, most experience in card & payments systems, but touched all areas from CB to IB. Currently I'm working on an Online Trading Platform for funds and equities.

Experience :

Started as a programmer, and the followed to usual route and am now a lead analyst. My current role involves requirements definition, producing functional documentation and babysitting our offshorers.

Contracting experience :

I contracted for 4 years as an AP, and never had any problems finding a position, but went back to permdom as I wanted some further training.

The Plan :

I now see myself as a hybrid analyst, and am happy working with either side (in a strictly above board kind of way ). I'm going to fund my ISEB BA Diploma and once complete look to re-enter the contract market as a BA or HA.

The biggest problem I can see with my plan is I want to apply for contracts whilst I'm still a permie and don't want to hand in my notice until I've secured something - so could my notice period (4 weeks) count against me ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.....

As I am in the process of doing exactly the same, the move from permiedom to contracting the 4 weeks can be a barrier.

I was fortunate enough to find a clientco who was prepared to wait. I ended in trading in my outstanding leave to reduce the notice period by a few of days so they clientco only has to wait 3 weeks for me to start.

I guess it depends on how ugrent the requirement is and how well you fit the role...but it is possible to land a contract and then resign from permiedom (the additional advantage is that seeing as I'm on my way out I've squat to do so had time to register company, appoint accountant, arrange insurance and all the other paperwork required to get a company created).

HTH
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

So, you have no proven experience in the areas you want to contract? You'll find it very difficult to get an agency to touch you although you might have some luck with direct contracts.

On timing, you can still get contracts where they're willing to wait but you're probably cutting your potential market by 3/4 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
        Hello folks,

I thought I would run my plan past some experts to see if you can offer me any advice or point out any glaring omissions.

Background :

15 years in banking, worked right across the domain, most experience in card & payments systems, but touched all areas from CB to IB. Currently I'm working on an Online Trading Platform for funds and equities.

Experience :

Started as a programmer, and the followed to usual route and am now a lead analyst. My current role involves requirements definition, producing functional documentation and babysitting our offshorers.

Contracting experience :

I contracted for 4 years as an AP, and never had any problems finding a position, but went back to permdom as I wanted some further training.

The Plan :

I now see myself as a hybrid analyst, and am happy working with either side (in a strictly above board kind of way ). I'm going to fund my ISEB BA Diploma and once complete look to re-enter the contract market as a BA or HA.

The biggest problem I can see with my plan is I want to apply for contracts whilst I'm still a permie and don't want to hand in my notice until I've secured something - so could my notice period (4 weeks) count against me ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.....
        The plan is irrelevant, apply for the gigs you can do, ignore the ones you can't (unless you think you can blag it long enough to learn it).

4 weeks notice *probably* wont be an issue. Any longer and it would be. Don't commit to anything to the agents, just tell them you can be available when needed.

Be prepare to negotiate with your manager for an early release if needed.

Failing that, take as tulip on the HR directors desk, shag his PA and tell your manager he's an arsehole in front of the rest of the office. That should deal with any notice period issues.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Failing that, take as tulip on the HR directors desk, shag his PA and tell your manager he's an arsehole in front of the rest of the office. That should deal with any notice period issues.
          That may not work. There are people who have twatted senior management when trying to escape and it didn't work.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue, as long as you have the skills to back it up.

I'm sure there are some managers who are awkward when it comes to contract hires, but I'm sure most sensible managers will understand its not always straight forward when it comes to notice.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
            X