• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Killing Joke...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Joke...

The average cost of dying has risen to £7,248, according to a survey which warns that many bereaved families will struggle to cover all the expenses.

The analysis of death-related costs from insurance company Sun Life Direct, which include funerals, probate costs and memorials such as headstones, shows that next of kin and other key relatives are often ill-prepared to cover the final bills.

More than a quarter (26%) of participants in the survey admitted they had made no plans for the practicalities of later life, while 87% had made no arrangements regarding where they will live and how they will be cared for if they are unable to look after themselves in old age.

The research shows that in the UK today, end-of-life costs have increased to an average of £7,248 – a rise of 20% since 2007 and more than £400 since 2010.

Specifically, funeral costs have increased by 61% over the past seven years, which Sun Life Direct believes will continue for the foreseeable future. The report also reveals that this increase in costs has been met with surprise and concern from those who have responsibility for such arrangements.

Simon Cox, head of life planning at Sun Life Direct, said: "Many people are sleepwalking into a financial nightmare, leaving end-of-life plans to their families, the state or no one at all.

"As a nation we need a wake-up call. Our research indicates that although there is indeed openness to talking about death, action is still greatly lacking. Steps need to be taken to avert the sort of distress and concern experienced by the nearly one-in-five (100,000) people who struggle with funeral costs."

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    T[B]

"As a nation we need a wake-up call. ."
    As in Waking the dead ?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      As in Waking the dead ?
      Surprised you haven't tried selling an outsourced cremation on the Ganges service by now Dodgy.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Surprised you haven't tried selling an outsourced cremation on the Ganges service by now Dodgy.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          Many people are sleepwalking into a financial nightmare, leaving end-of-life plans to their families, the state or no one at all.

I'm really worried about my future after I'm dead.

What does the state do if one doesn't give a toss about sorting out one's own arrangements?
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

sounds more like advertising for Sun-Life than an actual article

Have you got a direct link?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              sounds more like advertising for Sun-Life than an actual article

Have you got a direct link?
              Sure Cost of dying rises above £7,000 | Money | guardian.co.uk

Its aso on the BBC site as well

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

I'm really worried about my future after I'm dead.

What does the state do if one doesn't give a toss about sorting out one's own arrangements?
                Used to be a Paupers Funeral - not to mself -Paupers Funeral (c) - great name for Gorh/Punk Band

Comment

So anyone know what happens if you let the state deal with the corpse?

Landfill?
                  Dog food?
                  Nearest bonfire?
                  Behind a desk in one of the council offices? They all look like Bernie to me.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If you die then your next of kin are always notified - if they can be found and it will be then their responsiblity to arrange the funeral and correct dsiposal of the body.

If the next of kin can prove they have not got the means to pay for the funeral you can get a grant/beneift from the DWP - although this often will not cover the full cost.

If you have estate then the funeral directors performing the service can take the cost out of that before the will is divided.

If the next of kin do not qualify for a DWP grant or there is no money in the estate then they will be left with the bill - which is around £1500 for the most basic funeral (with cremation getting buried is probably twice as expensive)

If no one can be found then you do not get a paupers burial or funeral as such - you simply get cremated in a cardboard box/very basic coffin - often after the body has been used for medical science so it is more your remains get cremated - often with a number of other remains...

Comment

Working...
                    X