• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My trip to Oxford

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trip to Oxford

Got a phone call at the beginning of the week, a client needed help with some mathematical models. Turns out there's no one left in the UK skilled enough so they called the scooter in Munich.

As soon as the mentioned quantum computers they had my attention.

Flew in to Heathrow and boy, I was fleeced left right and centre the moment my foot touched the ground. Talk about expensive?!! How do people do it?

I thought T5 looking smart I like it. Got a taxi to the Thistle hotel 2 miles away, £18.20!!!!!!! WT hell?!! I gave him a £20 and he gave me a look when I asked for change? Seriously? What a bunch of thieves. OK yes I'm from Scotland I'm bound to be a tight git, but £20 for 2 miles is taking the liberty.

The Thistle hotel, do not stay here! What a hole. I got chased out of the room by a wee mouse!! Seriously. Got a new room, it smelled. £115 for this hole and no breakfast.

The drive up to Oxford was pleasant enough but felt slow not being able to go over 70. Government needs to get that sorted. Nice countryside up that way.

Point of this rant is I'm well shocked how expensive the UK seems, February since I was back. The price I can accept but what you get for it no way matches the cost.

£115 without breakfast at Heathrow

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

How much did you charge for 1 day of your mathematical services?

Comment

Pop out to pizza express to cheer yourself up.

Comment

It's expensive here to keep you Euro paupers away with your trash currency and your breath reeking of garlic.

sasguru.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          £√-115

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            He's still working it out.

Comment

Why the fook would you stay in a hotel near Heathrow? Why not head towards Oxford and find somewhere en route?
              Honestly scooter, they really do see you coming.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I went out for a few beers last night and I was astonished at the cost of everything. A fiver for a slice of pork pie in the pub FFS. I want a whole pie for that.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Why the fook would you stay in a hotel near Heathrow? Why not head towards Oxford and find somewhere en route?
                  Honestly scooter, they really do see you coming.
                  Or fly to Birmingham and get a direct train from the airport. 1 train per hour. Takes 1 hour and you get a free ride on the monorail.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    £√-115
                    Imaginary number

Comment

Working...
                    X