• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seagate Momentus XT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate Momentus XT

Does anyone have one of these? I need a new and speedy USB external drive and I have a spare 2.5" caddy.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Yes, I installed one on my mbp 2 years ago almost. There's a thread on it here somewhere.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Unless you've got USB 3.0, the bottleneck will be the USB not the hard drive, so may as well get the cheapest 2.5" hard drive you can find, at the capacity you desire.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Unless you've got USB 3.0, the bottleneck will be the USB not the hard drive, so may as well get the cheapest 2.5" hard drive you can find, at the capacity you desire.
        Probably true for transferring large files but for stuff that involves random IO I definitely notice the difference between 5.4k and 7.2k drives. I had an old SSD in there but I've put that in my desktop as it was too small and in the caddy it didn't support TRIM or the intel SSD tools, but that was a massive improvement as well.

I have gone with a WD Scorpio Black, should do the job for now and half the price. I don't know how much difference 4GB of flash would make when I am copying 30-40GB of files and then processing them with various shell scripts. I should demand the bastards find me a proper server to do the crunching on really.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X