• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shared car usage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared car usage

It looks like I will be getting a contract where I can drive to work with the missus, and then get her to drop me at a train station to carry on my journey. Can I claim these miles against my company,or part of them, or nothing at all?

Car is in my name if that makes any difference at all.

Anyone?

Comment

I don't see why you can't. You would have to drive to the train station yourself if your wife wasn't there so claim it.

It is your choice how you get to work so as long as you don't take the piss or put fraudulent claims in I can't see the problem.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is a "duality of purpose" here though.

As normally if you drive to the station on your own you would have to pay for parking unless there is free parking on roads nearby (which is rare.)
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Whats the primary purpose of the car travel? Is it to get you to the train station? Or is it to get your wife to work? If the former, then your mileage claim looks OK - if its the latter, then it doesn't.

If you make the mileage claim, then think about how you would justify this to the tax office (in the event that you needed to). Through their glasses, they would see this as you just getting a ride to the train station because your wife is driving past it. Is there enough of a detour required to make it a business journey? There might be - just give it some thought.

You cannot part-claim for this - either go for all of it, or nothing.
          2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
            Whats the primary purpose of the car travel? Is it to get you to the train station? Or is it to get your wife to work? If the former, then your mileage claim looks OK - if its the latter, then it doesn't.

If you make the mileage claim, then think about how you would justify this to the tax office (in the event that you needed to). Through their glasses, they would see this as you just getting a ride to the train station because your wife is driving past it. Is there enough of a detour required to make it a business journey? There might be - just give it some thought.

You cannot part-claim for this - either go for all of it, or nothing.
            How would the tax office know he was getting a lift and not driving himself?

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
              How would the tax office know he was getting a lift and not driving himself?
              By asking him. If the HMRC want to query an expense, in my experience they will not only look at receipts etc, but also the underlying nature of the expense (to ensure its business related) and they know how to ask open questions. The OP just needs to be ready to explain if asked. By and large this is all very minor and probably wouldn't get picked up at all - the main point is, if the travel is 100% business related, then claim it - if its not, then don't.
              2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category

Comment

I am in a similar situation. My mother is the registered keeper of the vehicle but I will be using it to travel to my temporary workplace. Am I allowed to claim mileage expense even though its not technically my car?

Comment

I think I answered my own question:
                  BIM47701 - Specific deductions: travel & subsistence: use of vehicle: mileage rates: introduction

It seems you dont have to be the owner of the vehicle to claim.

Comment

Did you see the part that says "All that is necessary is that the taxpayer claiming the expense is paying the costs of running and maintaining the vehicle." - your mother will be happy you will be taking on these costs too

Comment

Working...
                    X