• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Availability for the contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Availability for the contract market

Hi there,

I am currently looking for my first contract and have a concern regarding my notice period which comes up to 45 days. Is this a real problem for the contract market? If yes how the client are willing to wait ti get the right person?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jamesbond View Post
    Hi there,

I am currently looking for my first contract and have a concern regarding my notice period which comes up to 45 days. Is this a real problem for the contract market? If yes how the client are willing to wait ti get the right person?

Thanks

Don’t consider contracting as employment it is very different. When I started contracting I took the risk of handing my notice in first and looking for a contract in the last week of employment. Agents won’t be interested in long notice etc. Many contracts will require start next day away from home and even abroad. These days you will need at least three months money in your war chest before you look for a contract as they are thin on the ground.
    Last edited by Paddy; 18 September 2011, 09:42. Reason: waiting for coffee
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Gladiators?

Comment

Hi there,

I am currently looking for my first contract and have a concern regarding my notice period which comes up to 45 days. Is this a real problem for the contract market?
        Hello and welcome!

Yes - it's likely to be a big problem. Most companies think they want someone immediately. Even if you do find someone prepared to wait, the danger is that circumstances change in 6 weeks and the project is canned / resourced differently leaving you without a contract.

If you look on jobserve, the jobs have 'start date' which is nearly always ASAP, immediate, or, occasionally 1 week.

If yes how the client are willing to wait ti get the right person?
        I don't understand the second part of your question.
        Last edited by mudskipper; 18 September 2011, 09:42.

Comment

You don't have to give your current employer notice. They can't force you back to work with a big stick. Just start working on a contract the next day and phone in sick or something. You'll miss out on a leaving card and that crappy gather-round moment where the boss tells everyone how wonderful you've been and a few people clap weakly.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Have you bothered to look at the financial situation in the wider market? or possibly take note of the fact that you are trying to jump on a sinking band wagon? Contracts per applicant have dried up fast this month and rate cuts have started re-emerging in the news.

You need to decide if you can afford to spend next year working for nothing while the agency takes a 40% margin just because there were 50 idiots driving the rate down in desperation...

Personally I'd stay put earning a stable permie wage for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              You don't have to give your current employer notice. They can't force you back to work with a big stick. Just start working on a contract the next day and phone in sick or something. You'll miss out on a leaving card and that crappy gather-round moment where the boss tells everyone how wonderful you've been and a few people clap weakly.
              god I'd do ANYTHING to avoid that charade

Edit: Great username for the OP. Jamesbond. Wonder why nobody took it before..

Comment

Serious answer is to man up and hand in your notice in on Monday and start looking for contracts.

If you can't do that you are probably not cut out for contracting...
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Serious answer is to man up and hand in your notice in on Monday and start looking for contracts.

If you can't do that you are probably not cut out for contracting...
                  WSS

If you can't face that then you won't be able to face a lot worse when you are contracting.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    WSS

If you can't face that then you won't be able to face a lot worse when you are contracting.
                    Indeed. Not handing in your notice until you get the next thing lined up is permie thinking. Save up, arrange an overdraft facility, get some 0% credit cards, and take the plunge. That's what I did. Except for the save up part.:
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X