• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Conditions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Conditions

Inspired by a thread in one of the pro - forums
    Whats the worst conditions you've been asked to endure and what did you do to rectify the situation?
    I’ll start: A couple of years ago a project team I was working with was moved from relatively comfortable offices to a new office in the new site which had just opened. Turned out that half the office space we were supposed to be using had been reallocated as temporary shortage. Ended up having to buddy-up on desks, put up with ongoing meetings in the office as there was no dedicated meeting space anymore and on top of that it was significantly further to drive ever morning, car parking was crap, the canteen was rubbish and over priced and no mobile reception either!
    I lasted till lunch time before I snapped. I packed up and on my way out, told the PM I’ll be back at the old office, or at home if he would prefer. Got the usual “Need you in the office”, “Visibility of tasks your working on” etc. from him but refused to back down.
    Got back to the old office in time for lunch and got an extension offer the week after
    Coffee's for closers

Working for a courier company in Staffordshire on a hillside. Project was making rubbish American crap system work to save managements arses despite best business sense to can and shell out again on a proper system.

Office was portakabins, by the diesel pump that the trucks filled up with. Summer, so windows open meaning fumes filled the office.

Brewsters was the only lunch option, as the truckers had their lunch in greasy spoons.

Was interesting walking back to the portakabin crossing fast driven trucks after a couple of beers.

Best bunch of people I have worked with.

Comment

Recent one actually(last year).

Arrived on site to be placed in an empty freezing cold atic room in the middle of nowhere. Broken chairs, damp, ancient desktop, crap screen, crap coffee machine, no heating.

I sat down, made myself uncomfortable and within 30 minutes went 'feck this'. Walked downstairs had a squizz round for a non broken chair with back support, found none, wandered into the directors area(a nice part of the building, heaters, latest equipment etc), took a nice comfy chair and a portable heater and took them back to the atic. A few hours later, someone came up to ask where I'd got the chair/heater from and said I had to take them back, to whit I replied. 'You either get me both, I pay for both and invoice you or you can go and buy them for me'.

They stayed. I gave notice a few weeks later.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Arrived on client site, to be told our office would be in the new building that was not ready yet.
        "Until it is you are in the coffee room", fab.
        Project staffed up until no more standing room in the coffee room.
        "Ok you can move to the new building, but be careful it's not finished yet"
        Project team + 200 builders!
        No lifts, stair way jammed with rubbish supplies etc.
        1 toilet in another part of the building on another floor.
        Windows sealed, no A/C installed yet. Summer 30°.
        No canteen.

I stayed a week
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I had an OK contract with a FTSE 30 company that took a turn for the worse when 20 phone jockeys were assigned to our room and hotdesking arrangements were put in place. After the 2nd time I ended up perched on a filing cabinet rather than a seat I decided to have a word, the IT directors PA told me "that's tough tulip" so I phoned the PM from the consultancy firm who said "well, we just have to put up with it" to which I answered "actually I don't, I'm on a weeks notice" and went home.

I started working from home after that.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

i have told this story before but know one will remember so going to tell again.

Rocked up at a large financial company in northampton, (Big white building you cannot miss it) no desk or chair alocated so had to stand behind someone else to view the call logging system, saw a couple of support jobs i could do so just went wandering around the building, large open plan with ground floor open to the 3rd floor in the middle, you could not hear yourself think with the noise, when you stood at one end and looked down the building it was row upon row of desks from one end to the other like one of those battery chicken farms, when i go back to my desk the chair was empty so i sat down only to find that if i wanted to get out the fella behind had to pull is chair in and vise versa, that was enough for me.

Worst 4 hours of my life

i also worked for a large building company, i never went to their office for the interview but when i rolled up the first morning it was an impressive new place, walked through the door to a large modern reception, i was then lead through to the offices, the front of the building had been attached to some very old buildings, it was only the reception and the directors offices, the rest was a right s**t hole and the IT department was in a shed not in the main building

I also worked in a portacabin for the NHS, best contract i ever had it was the people that made the difference not the building
            Last edited by Support Monkey; 19 September 2011, 13:14.

Comment

What can I say: I work on a building site

But to be honest currently we have nice new top of the line portacabins with full ICT, HVAC & I have a chair with full lumbar support, laptop & keyboard support & there is a site canteen & Free Friday Fry Ups

Just lacking any decent eye candy
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                What can I say: I work on a building site

But to be honest currently we have nice new top of the line portacabins with full ICT, HVAC & I have a chair with full lumbar support, laptop & keyboard support & there is a site canteen & Free Friday Fry Ups

Just lacking any decent eye candy
                You work in IT.

HTH
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

office in north london for public sector client, 4 storey building that should have been condemed years ago, 6 of us based in an office that could hold no more then four, not so bad but we also had to stock boxes of PC's, servers & switches when deliveries arrived as there was no other storage,

it was like building a den out of cardboard boxes when you were a kid

only saving grace was the window looked out onto the Tesco's car park where you could spot plenty of footballers' wannabe wives

(although when you followed them they did walk into the sexual health clinic which was a little off putting)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    an empty freezing cold atic room in the middle of nowhere. Broken chairs, damp, ancient desktop, crap screen, crap coffee machine, no heating.
                    No wonder your shop didn't last
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X