• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling Source Code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Source Code

Does anyone have any experience in selling source code including all rights to the software?
    I'm not exactly sure where to start on this one.
    Coffee's for closers

For a single client this is quite normal, just make sure the contract says they own the IP and the source code becomes their property.

If you are selling the source code to multiple clients then you want some sort of non exclusive license agreement, probably restricting some rights like distribution and resale etc.

If they don't actually need the source code but want it as insurance in case you go bust then you can look at an escrow arrangement.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      For a single client this is quite normal, just make sure the contract says they own the IP and the source code becomes their property.
      Thanks for that - i was hoping to go down the route of a one time sale to a larger company who might be better placed to place the software into a commercial space.

The problems I face are:
      1. Approaching suitable buyers in a suitable manner
      2. How to conduct the bidding/pricing process (personally I'd like to have a fixed window in which I can accept bids and then accept the highest bid)
      3. How to allow the potential buyer to coduct due diligence without exposing the source code.
      4. how to run everthing in a timely fashion, if it drags on for too long then a potential buyer may get fed up and just build it themselves.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
      X