• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Netbook wants to use iMac's DVD drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Netbook wants to use iMac's DVD drive

Hello all

My DVD-less Windows XP notebook needs access to a DVD drive. Rather than buy an external drive, I believe I can network to my Mac's DVD drive (iMac, Snow Leopard) but I'm no expert on networking so any step by step help would be gratefully received.

The machines are connected by an ethernet cable. So far, I have managed to read files on the Netbook's hard drive from the Mac , and vice versa. I can also print from the Netbook to the printer attached to the Mac. So far so good. How do I get the Netbook to find and recognise the Mac's DVD drive please?

Originally posted by simontax View Post
    Hello all

My DVD-less Windows XP notebook needs access to a DVD drive. Rather than buy an external drive, I believe I can network to my Mac's DVD drive (iMac, Snow Leopard) but I'm no expert on networking so any step by step help would be gratefully received.

The machines are connected by an ethernet cable. So far, I have managed to read files on the Netbook's hard drive from the Mac , and vice versa. I can also print from the Netbook to the printer attached to the Mac. So far so good. How do I get the Netbook to find and recognise the Mac's DVD drive please?
    You need to enable DVD/CD Sharing on the Mac.

Preferences -> Sharing - > DVD/CD tick box.

Should now be visible over the network.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      You need to enable DVD/CD Sharing on the Mac.

Preferences -> Sharing - > DVD/CD tick box.

Should now be visible over the network.
      Thanks DaveB, I already did that. The bit I have the problem with is "should now be visible over the network". Where should it be visible? How do I go and look for it?

Comment

1. Open DOS box
        2. Release you're not an admin
        3. Close DOS box
        4. Open DOS box with runas
        5. Telnet to Mac
        6. Realise no telnet
        7. SSH to Mac
        8. Realise no SSH
        9. Try to install above
        10. Realise no DVD drive
        11. Shutdown Windows
        12. Put netbook back in box
        13. Take netbook back to shop
        14. Get refund
        15. Buy Mac
        16. Connect to remote DVD on other Mac without really doing anything

Of course, Macs are locked down and you can't do anything......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Of course, Macs are locked down and you can't do anything......
          I'm trying to work out if you are being sarcastic or not....

Simontax, I'm not in front to of my Mac atm. There are ways to do it via the command line by using symbolic links

Something like:

>cd <network visible directory>
          >ln -s <dvd drive path> ./DvD

will do it but I can't remember the default path for the Superdrive off the top of my head.

This tool will do the symbolic link thing for you but I've not used it and make no claims as to relaibility/stability.

SymbolicLinker

Or you can create a .dmg image of the dvd you want access to, copy it to the notebook and open it with somehting like DaemonTools Lite (DAEMON Tools Lite :: Products :: DAEMON-Tools.cc). It's free.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            I'm trying to work out if you are being sarcastic or not....

Simontax, I'm not in front to of my Mac atm. There are ways to do it via the command line by using symbolic links

Something like:

>cd <network visible directory>
            >ln -s <dvd drive path> ./DvD

will do it but I can't remember the default path for the Superdrive off the top of my head.

This tool will do the symbolic link thing for you but I've not used it and make no claims as to relaibility/stability.

SymbolicLinker

Or you can create a .dmg image of the dvd you want access to, copy it to the notebook and open it with somehting like DaemonTools Lite (DAEMON Tools Lite :: Products :: DAEMON-Tools.cc). It's free.

DaveB, no I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm just a bit lost with something I feel I should be able to do, but it's just not happening.

DVD sharing is ticked on the Mac. I want to burn to DVD from the netbook. Or install programmes to the netbook using the DVD. Or just open a file that is stored on a CD that is in the drive, without first copying it to a shared folder on the Mac.

On the netbook, I am in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\Workgroup\The Mac and I can see the shared files (in the public folder) and the shared printer. No DVD drive.

Perhaps I have completely misunderstood what Apple means by the phrase "This allows users of other computers to use this computer’s DVD or CD drive remotely."

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by simontax View Post
              DaveB, no I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm just a bit lost with something I feel I should be able to do, but it's just not happening.

DVD sharing is ticked on the Mac. I want to burn to DVD from the netbook. Or install programmes to the netbook using the DVD. Or just open a file that is stored on a CD that is in the drive, without first copying it to a shared folder on the Mac.

On the netbook, I am in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\Workgroup\The Mac and I can see the shared files (in the public folder) and the shared printer. No DVD drive.

Perhaps I have completely misunderstood what Apple means by the phrase "This allows users of other computers to use this computer’s DVD or CD drive remotely."

Thanks for your help.

The Sarcasm comment was aimed at Stek, not you.

The symbolic link thing is going to be the easiest way to sort it out I think. You'll need to create it in the public folder on the mac. Unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious.
              Last edited by DaveB; 19 September 2011, 15:11.

Comment

Sorry if I confused things...

I've never done DVD sharing despite being a Mac-head but I guess it just shares it out a SMB/CIFS Windows share?

I that case just share it on the Mac and access it via hostname://Volumes/DVDname unless theres an easier way?

Having said that it may be more difficult, ISTR MacBook Air with no DVD being able to install OSX from PROM via remote DVD, maybe it's deeper. Tiefer, tiefer und tiefer....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Sorry if I confused things...

I've never done DVD sharing despite being a Mac-head but I guess it just shares it out a SMB/CIFS Windows share?

I that case just share it on the Mac and access it via hostname://Volumes/DVDname unless theres an easier way?

Having said that it may be more difficult, ISTR MacBook Air with no DVD being able to install OSX from PROM via remote DVD, maybe it's deeper. Tiefer, tiefer und tiefer....

Thanks Stek, but I need this part converting into plain English, keystrokes or mouse clicks: "access it via hostname://Volumes/DVDname"

Comment

After a bit of research it seems the DVD sharing option is for Mac-to-Mac. You can do it tho, as indicated above by another poster, by symlinking the the mounted DVD or by sharing the DVD in 'File Sharing' available to anyone and mounting the volume with the inserted DVD on the PC i.e.:

net use \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Volumes\mountedvdname or whatever the Windows command is, or browse for it in Exploder...

I can't test this as I have no Windows here - I'll fire up the old Ultra 45 SPARC box and connect via smb/cifs and report back....

Comment

Working...
                    X