• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife is shareholder - Tax implications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife is shareholder - Tax implications

Hi all

Can you help please?

I have put my wife down as a shareholder and I pay her dividends.

Her salary from her occupation plus dividends falls below the upper tax limit.

Does she need to do a self assessment return each year?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe -

HM Revenue & Customs: Do you need to complete a tax return?

If you don't already complete a tax return, you'll need to do so if you receive any of the following:
    £10,000 or more income from savings and investments
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are you not playing with fire a little distributing your money without knowing the basics? An account could save you alot of time and possibly money in the future.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by happydays View Post
        Hi all

Can you help please?

I have put my wife down as a shareholder and I pay her dividends.

Her salary from her occupation plus dividends falls below the upper tax limit.

Does she need to do a self assessment return each year?

Thanks for your help.
        Technically probably not if she has no liability, but HMRC may send her a return anyway. Often it's easier to just file one anyway, saves any hassle at a later date.

Your accountant can advise you fully, along with giving advice on the best income structure for both of you.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Are you not playing with fire a little distributing your money without knowing the basics? An accountant could save you alot of time and possibly money in the future.
          Let me fix that for you

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            Let me fix that for you
            You, sir, are a gentleman!!

Heaven forbid I would leave a post on here that made me look like an idiot!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Accountants are an arse... I am still in search for a nirvana account software for idiots.

Comment

Working...
              X