• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I thought everything was going so well...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought everything was going so well...

... but apparently it isn't
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Oh dear (tm)

"Peugeot is to close its plant at Ryton near Coventry with the loss of 2,300 jobs, it has been announced."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
      Reading what happened to the ex Rover workers 1 year on is depressing stuff... now skilled men are working stacking shelves... still keeps them off the official jobless stats

Comment

oops,

nice find fleety...

looks like our flexibility is the problem...

Derek Simpson, general secretary of Amicus, said: "It is inconceivable that workers in France would be laid off on this scale.

"Weak UK labour laws are allowing British workers to be sacrificed at the expense of a flexible labour market."

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          Derek Simpson, general secretary of Amicus, said: "It is inconceivable that workers in France would be laid off on this scale.
          No, they'd have a riot until the govt stepped in with a fat wad of state aid.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
            Reading what happened to the ex Rover workers 1 year on is depressing stuff... now skilled men are working stacking shelves... still keeps them off the official jobless stats
            Hey, they're just following the government's advice...

Margaret Hodge says former MG Rover workers could find jobs at supermarket giant Tesco. In an interview with the Wolverhampton Express & Star, Mrs Hodge referred to the proposed creation of 350 jobs at a new Tesco store in the Yardley area of the city.

Don't forget, Tesco is the UK's Microsoft. The current government tells us the creation of millions of McJobs is one of its proudest achievements. Hell, even the Tories agree:

Conservative MP for Bromsgrove, Julie Kirkbride said, "Tesco is a first class employer offering first class jobs."

Comment

Margaret Hodge (and the rest of the NewLie cabinet) should be working in Tescos instead of fecking up the country.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Tesco is the great beast
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  oops,

nice find fleety...

looks like our flexibility is the problem...

"Weak UK labour laws are allowing British workers to be sacrificed at the expense of a flexible labour market."

Milan.
                  sorry to piss on your parade milan but unless businesses have the flexibility to fire and pick and choose their employees they wont work efficiently. Either you have flexible labour laws or (as in France) you have no jobs.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hmmm. Agree in theory but cannot help noticing that they still have a substantial French owned car industry and Citreon-Peugot is very profitable too. There must be a few things they are doing right.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X