• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two finger typists need not apply

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two finger typists need not apply

Just been sent a job description.

Under 'key competencies', alongside the usual, was:

"Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. "

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Just been sent a job description.

Under 'key competencies', alongside the usual, was:

"Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. "
    Report them for disability discrimination. I have worked with disabled contractors one of whom has MS. He has been a great inspiration to me.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Report them for disability discrimination. I have worked with disabled contractors one of whom has MS. He has been a great inspiration to me.
      Yep - did think that. Lots of ways to operate a computer without using hands.

It was a strange job description in lots of ways...

Comment

Yep - did think that. Lots of ways to operate a computer without using hands.

It was a strange job description in lots of ways...
        Can we see the rest of it then?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Can we see the rest of it then?
          Suffice to say, job was for 'senior web developer'

The job description had all the stuff you'd expect, and a few very bizarre things - use of power tools, inspection of cables in floors and ceilings - the kind of stuff your average C# coder does all the time.

Permie job - was mailed to me by over-enthusiastic agent. I said "no thanks" and gave some constructive feedback on the job spec.

Comment

Suffice to say, job was for 'senior web developer'

The job description had all the stuff you'd expect, and a few very bizarre things - use of power tools, inspection of cables in floors and ceilings - the kind of stuff your average C# coder does all the time.

Permie job - was mailed to me by over-enthusiastic agent. I said "no thanks" and gave some constructive feedback on the job spec.
            I'd seen the phrase about dexterity bla bla before; looks like an HR numpty just did a ctrl+c and ctrl+v on some standard job description. Google the dexterity phrase and you'll see it in lots of American job descriptions.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I'd seen the phrase about dexterity bla bla before; looks like an HR numpty just did a ctrl+c and ctrl+v on some standard job description. Google the dexterity phrase and you'll see it in lots of American job descriptions.

Aha - I think I found the job description it was copied from.

Network Engineer, Financial Services, Hertfordshire, £45k - Hertfordshire - CWJobs/4592 Network 51547917 - CWJobs.co.uk

Most irrelevant bits changed, but a few slipped through! Definitely a different company. How funny.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Yup.

I can type quite fast with a pencil in my teeth when they've done the straps of the jacket up too tightly.
                Was that when you forgot the 'stop' code word in an S&M session?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X