• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contract: Sydney vs London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contract: Sydney vs London

I have about 9 years IT experience in London, 3 of which contracting. I am a .NET / SQL Server developer.

I wanted to know from anyones experience what I could expect in terms of pay differences between London and Sydney. Would I be better off there or here? As in after monthly expenses where would I have more purchasing power?

Rob

Originally posted by RobertLondon View Post
    I have about 9 years IT experience in London, 3 of which contracting. I am a .NET / SQL Server developer.

I wanted to know from anyones experience what I could expect in terms of pay differences between London and Sydney. Would I be better off there or here? As in after monthly expenses where would I have more purchasing power?

Rob
    Well, one would be in Pounds sterling .......

Comment

Rob
      Seeing as the pay differences and exchange rates fluctuate, why not just pick the place you like and go there?

Whatever you choose, London's expensive.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Rob
        Use the internet to get an average rate for your area of expertise from both locations and compare one with the other.

HTH
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Consider the visa implications too.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Consider the visa implications too.
            Yeah, the average credit card is blown to hell after a night out in London.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

And it will be a cold winter in London and a hot summer in Sydney.

Comment

Rates in Sydney are always lower, in 2001 I was expecting to get 80 dollars per hour but I had a desk on the north shore that overlooked the harbour.

Comment

I'm currently working on a contract in london so know how good it is here

I've looked at some recent reports of the economy and cost of living in Sydney and it would appear I would be financially worse off over there compared to here in London. However, do I really want to spend another cold raining winter over here again

Comment

I'm currently working on a contract in london so know how good it is here

I've looked at some recent reports of the economy and cost of living in Sydney and it would appear I would be financially worse off over there compared to here in London. However, do I really want to spend another cold raining winter over here again
                    Exactly. Rates might be lower, but think of it as a paid holiday over there.

I'd be off like a shot if it weren't for those pesky kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X