• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interactive map of the internet's underwater fibre optic cables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interactive map of the internet's underwater fibre optic cables

Submarine Cable Map

Originating article: One Per Cent: Interactive map of the internet's underwater paths

There's a lot of communication going on between the UK and America and the cables look like tangle of noodles around China. And our Bob talk travels with much quickness through the Strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Anyone got a pair of scissors?

Thats interesting. Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.

There was a programme on about a ship laying the cables on Quest the otherday using a plough to bury the cables on the sea bed. The amount of effort going in to it is astounding.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It takes less time to lay transocean fiber cable than get copper phone line from BT

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.
        That's expected.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Thats interesting. Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.

There was a programme on about a ship laying the cables on Quest the otherday using a plough to bury the cables on the sea bed. The amount of effort going in to it is astounding.
          was that part of the Might Ships series?
          Mighty Ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Wow, an interesting thread on CUK. I literally don't know what to say ......

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Submarine Cable Map

Originating article: One Per Cent: Interactive map of the internet's underwater paths

There's a lot of communication going on between the UK and America and the cables look like tangle of noodles around China. And our Bob talk travels with much quickness through the Strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Anyone got a pair of scissors?
              I would have thought that attaching cables to submarines would limit their navigational ability.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If it's difficult to go to the bottom of the sea due to pressure of all the weight of water, why don't the cables get crushed?

I suspect this is just another logic glitch in the matrix.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  If it's difficult to go to the bottom of the sea due to pressure of all the weight of water, why don't the cables get crushed?

I suspect this is just another logic glitch in the matrix.
                  I think they built special tunnels for them to go in.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
                    Wow, an interesting thread on CUK. I literally don't know what to say ......

Try Goodbye
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X