• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to get rough comparison of day rate to Perm salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get rough comparison of day rate to Perm salary

First post so apologies if in the wrong place. As an agency we normally work on permanent opportunities but a recent project has engaged us with a number of contractors. I am trying to get an approximate Permanent Salary comparison for somebody currently on a £630 day rate. I know there are lots of variables but even a shot in the dark is better than where I am now Thank you all.

But as a rough rule of thumb, salary / 1000 gives an hourly rate.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If say more like salary/500 equals hourly rate.

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
        Let's not start that again. The 1000 figure has held for a long time now.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not this question again!! You're right, there are lots of variables. So many that a simple conversion factor is not really realistic...

However...

Originally posted by javadude View Post
          What planet are you on??! £630/day = £45,000? No way...
          Last edited by MrRobin; 20 September 2011, 15:15.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Let's not start that again. The 1000 figure has held for a long time now.
            WMS

Assuming 8 hour day, 630/8=78.75ph.
            Therefore 78.75 * 1000 = £78750 pa

As Mal said its an estimate, not an exact science.

Would take some catching up with the £144k earned on a £630pd contract over a 46 week year. So make sure they are aware of the "benefits".
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 20 September 2011, 15:48.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

£45000 include employers contributions is around 54 grand

Now add on 20 grand for admin and benefits roughly (this is what a contractor has to spend on "stuff" like the acountant)

Now divide by 230 gives around £320 pre day.

Pitch around 300-400. 350 wouldn't be a bad rate to offer.

At the end of the day the market rate determines what you should pay, ie. contractor and permie adverts should bring in the same quality of CV. Try an advert at the low end (300) and see what interest there is.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 September 2011, 15:51.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                £45000 include employers contributions is around 54 grand

Now add on 20 grand for admin and benefits roughly (this is what a contractor has to spend on "stuff" like the acountant)

Now divide by 230 gives around £320 pre day.

Pitch around 300-400. 350 wouldn't be a bad rate to offer.

At the end of the day the market rate determines what you should pay, ie. contractor and permie adverts should bring in the same quality of CV. Try an advert at the low end (300) and see what interest there is.
                Or (45,000 / 1000) = 45. (45 * 8) = 360 per day.

WIWIS...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  What planet are you on??! £630/day = £45,000? No way...
                  Oops maths was wrong in turning the equation round. Don't tell my customer my maths is this bad on a Tuesday afternoon :-) Meant 2000 so 630 would give 157,500.

Comment

Thank you all for such a prompt response. There are lots of variables to consider and since I am more accustomed to quoting annual permanent salaries then a rough guide is useful to have

Comment

Working...
                    X