• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do agents ask previous salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do agents ask previous salary?

Another noob question from me

I get agents asking me how much I was/am on at my current permie role which is ending in a week. Does anyone know why they need to know this? I usually ask them and they just say their system or a client system requires them to enter it. I started thinking it was because they want to know what price bracket they need to look at to get someone in at my old job.

From now on I will just say I don't want to share that info since I get loads of time-wasting liars who clearly don't have a role to offer me but still say "I'll send you the spec now", "They want to interview this Friday" so that I will just tell them whatever they want to know. Just had one from Hays, I could tell he was blatantly lying, didn't even provide any details of the role just started asking me loads of questions till I pulled him up and asked if he actually had a job for me and then the BS started...still haven't received the spec.

Yes, it's a noob question, you soon learn to filter out the waste of timers. In fact now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I was was subjected to deep sea trawling by agents. They must have all tried and given up with me now, I guess.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
      Another noob question from me

I get agents asking me how much I was/am on at my current permie role which is ending in a week. Does anyone know why they need to know this? I usually ask them and they just say their system or a client system requires them to enter it. I started thinking it was because they want to know what price bracket they need to look at to get someone in at my old job.

From now on I will just say I don't want to share that info since I get loads of time-wasting liars who clearly don't have a role to offer me but still say "I'll send you the spec now", "They want to interview this Friday" so that I will just tell them whatever they want to know. Just had one from Hays, I could tell he was blatantly lying, didn't even provide any details of the role just started asking me loads of questions till I pulled him up and asked if he actually had a job for me and then the BS started...still haven't received the spec.
      Or work with the pimp and freely give them loads of information... It's not really affecting you is it?

Just keep a list of mangers/general contacts or the names of the internal HR guys that you have worked with and around.

When you get an agent on a fishing trip feed them some names and inside thoughts on what might get some one else in the door, and then give the agent your C.V and a tell them what you want to find, Just in case they come across it while they are fishing elsewhere...

If you do this, one or two agents in a dozen might remember you and try and help you...

Comment

They ask so they know where to price you (and price up who you are currently working for). Just quote a figure at the upper end of what you want/think you might get away with. They may then ask you if you will negotiate, so just say you might - depending on the job - and ask how much is thier client offering. These questions generally weed out the chancers.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          I get agents asking me how much I was/am on at my current permie role which is ending in a week. Does anyone know why they need to know this?
          Tell them it's none of their business (which is right).

When an agent asks me what my salary/rate was in a previous job/contract, i just say "my daily rate is currently £xxx".

If they get shirty, just ask them to confirm how much money they are on, as you need to enter those details into YOUR system.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Them knowing your last rate potentially gives them a physiological advantage when it comes to negotiating your daily rate, ergo, how much commision they're going to rob off of you .

Comment

I get fed up with the job ads that say 'Negotiable', 'Market Rate', 'Competitive'.

Give me a range, then I can decide whether to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                Them knowing your last rate potentially gives them a physiological advantage when it comes to negotiating your daily rate, ergo, how much commision they're going to rob off of you .
                I think you mean "psychological" not "physiological", unless you wrestle your agents to negotiate rates

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                I get fed up with the job ads that say 'Negotiable', 'Market Rate', 'Competitive'.

Give me a range, then I can decide whether to apply.
                Same here, I am still trying to suss whether all those ads are worth applying for or not. There must be a reason they don't want to advertise a fixed rate, and the only one I can think of is to screw the contractor who comes in too low. Although one could argue, if the contractor asks for a rate he is happy with and gets the role, everyone wins (but the agent moreso).

Comment

Sadly i did mean psychological. There's a few agents i'd like to beat up in the name of money.

Comment

I've always thought they asked you your permie salary hoping to impress you by telling how much more even their crap rate is gonna be above this?

I had one guy trying to convince me that honestly, this rate would mean my yearly income was about £5K above my permie salary.

Yeh. Probably was as long as the contract lasted a year, I worked every day, didn't bother with things like pension etc.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X