• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

email attachments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email attachments

Why are email attachments in general much larger than the actual attachment sent? Is something added to them by the email client?

An e-mail just in, 3 attachments 7MB total file size of all 3 files. Email size 21MB! What's going on?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Cos the files need to be encoded, binary data gets encoded as text hence the bigger size.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Cos the files need to be encoded, binary data gets encoded as text hence the bigger size.
      Careful, you might push some of that math stuff out of scooters head

Comment

scooter, meet the Technical section of the forum.

Technical section of the forum, meet scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          scooter, meet the Technical section of the forum.

Technical section of the forum, meet scooter.

Comment

So wait a minute are you IT whizz kids telling me the protocol used in email transmission sucks?

Why has someone not invented a binary email protocol?

Would sending less data not be a green thing to do?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I would guess changing email protocol would be such a nightmare, nobody dares. Or they did, and nobody can handle the hassle of using it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I bet they'd change it in a minute if someone could calculated the energy wasted sending unnecessary data.

OK how many joules per byte in a typical e-mail sent within a country?

Same question, the globe?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Why are email attachments in general much larger than the actual attachment sent? Is something added to them by the email client?

An e-mail just in, 3 attachments 7MB total file size of all 3 files. Email size 21MB! What's going on?
                  I suspect that it’s to do with the email system you are using that wants to attachments as preview. If you select Text rather than HTML it may make a difference.

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  I don't see that. the files are already in binary and the coding should not change infact you can Zip files and make them smaller to send thru email.

Be my friend on facetube
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    OK how many joules per byte in a typical e-mail sent within a country?

Do you even see email on that list of biggest traffic usage areas?

Comment

Working...
                    X