• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£12bn NHS computer system is scrapped...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£12bn NHS computer system is scrapped...

Ministers are to axe Labour’s disastrous £12billion NHS computer scheme.

The Coalition will today announce it is putting a halt to years of scandalous waste of taxpayers’ money on a system that never worked.

It will cut its losses and ‘urgently’ dismantle the National Programme for IT – a monument to Whitehall folly during Labour’s 13 years in power.

The biggest civilian IT project of its kind in the world, it has already squandered at least £12.7billion. Some estimates put the cost far higher.

Analysts say the sum would have paid the salaries of more than 60,000 nurses for a decade.

The announcement follows strong criticism from MPs who accused Labour of wasting a further £500million of taxpayers’ money on a failed bid to set up a network of regional Fire Brigade control centres.

Source: £12bn NHS computer system is scrapped... and it's all YOUR money that Labour poured down the drain | Mail Online

-------

£12 bln - that's half the cost of HS2 railway.

Don't worry, Labour will win the next election, it will be back on, cost £500bn, take 10 years, still not work and be only 1% of the total money wasted by the next Labour govt.

Mental.

Comment

WIll be interesting to see what client co. say tomorrow in their staff briefings then :roll eyes:
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Odd, I was lunching today with some people ITK, and there's talk of a 'technology refresh' of what's there now....

Comment

Old news
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I had a whiff of this in late 2003,

Mission: To set up some serious well honking servers in something like 6 weeks flat.

The first time an agent asked me to name my own price, and meant it, but I turned it down because I didn't believe that it could be done.

In hindsight maybe I should have jumped on the gravy train, but the way it was presented was just plain wrong. Disaster was inevitable.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Odd, I was lunching today with some people ITK, and there's talk of a 'technology refresh' of what's there now....
              Common knowledge. N3 and Spine contracts are up for renewal soon so options are being looked at for the next generation.

Just had a read of the actual article. Every project they have quoted has actually been delivered and works. Love the Daily Hail.

NHSMail, PACS (Picture Archiving and Communications System), EPS (Electronic Prescription Service), SCR (Summary Care Record). As well as the rest of SPINE (Core Database Services) and N3 (New National Network), Choose and Book and a host of other services.

Even if they bin the "National Program" none of these things are going to go away, they will just be given different names, a few departments will be shuffled about and life at the coal face will go on pretty much as before. Behind the headlines there is a hell of a lot of very good work being done. It's not perfect, no large project ever is, but it's not the unmitigated disaster it's been made out to be.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I hit this early as lead one of the bidding teams for GP2GP integration went from Contract 2 perm for a while.

Politics did for me in my only 2nd perm job at the time and the company in question paid me £10k to bugger off and open up my shop.

I am disgusted that this project couldn't work.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Politics did for me in my only 2nd perm job at the time and the company in question paid me £10k to bugger off and open up my shop.
                  Punching Mordac in the kisser isn't exactly politics

Comment

I worked on SDS, a massive ldap solution, worked fine!!

Comment

Working...
                    X