• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is prepared to admit they were wrong about the Euro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is prepared to admit they were wrong about the Euro?

It is now time for gloating. Those of us who argued that the Euro would be a disaster have been proved rightWhat about you Milan? Or the FT? or the rest of the "left wing" establishment?

The great euro swindle - Telegraph

The central historical error of the modern Financial Times concerns the euro. The FT flung itself headlong into the pro-euro camp, embracing the cause with an almost religious passion. Doubts were dismissed. Here is the paper's Lex column on January 8, 2001, on the subject of Greek entry to the eurozone: "With Greece now trading in euros," reflected Lex, "few will mourn the death of the drachma. Membership of the eurozone offers the prospect of long-term economic stability." The FT offered a similarly warm welcome to Ireland.

And talking of idiots where is Pooperscoop?

At least Max hastings has the balls to admit he was wrong.

EU is a disaster blighting our lives | Mail Online
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Although I am generally a progressive I always thought that having a single currency for countries with widely differing systems was a recipe for disaster.
    Yes I think EUROphiles have some humble pie to eat.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I voted AndyW. Always the safest option IMHO.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I was pro-EU until 2003.

Then I went over to work there.

Now I'm not.

(Moving the parliament between Strasbourg and Brussels every 6 months to keep France happy??? REALLY????)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Having said all of which, I hope the Germans save the Euro - the only way for that to happen is through greater fiscal union of one form or another.
          I'm afraid the alternative (breakup of the Euro) will lead to a an economic depression for everyone*.

*BTW why the fook aren't we trading more with the BRICS. I read the other day that our trade with Ireland alone is greater than our trade with ALL the BRICS. FFS!
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I actually think a single currency can be a very good thing for those countries who have a record of good fiscal discipline; Germany, Holland and the Scandinavians, and usually I'd say Britain, but Mssrs Brown and B Liar put an end to that reputation. I think the admission of Greece was a very politically driven affair, involving a lot of 'cooking the books' and not driven by really good economic thinking.

Was I right or wrong? I don't know; I actually didn't put too much thought into it at the time and just took the change from guilders to euros as a fact of life beyond my control. Never suffered from it myself and will have to hope things get sorted ouot now. Should there have been a referendum about it? Hmm, don't know; I don't really support referenda as it involves asking the average joe questions about things he doesn't understand or have the time or inclination to learn about; given the mood in NL back in the late 90s I don't know whether it would have made a difference anyway.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Having said all of which, I hope the Germans save the Euro - the only way for that to happen is through greater fiscal union of one form or another.
              I'm afraid the alternative (breakup of the Euro) will lead to a an economic depression for everyone*.

*BTW why the fook aren't we trading more with the BRICS. I read the other day that our trade with Ireland alone is greater than our trade with ALL the BRICS. FFS!
              Because Russia is too corrupt for us to achieve much there.
              We have no natural resources that China want/need.
              India - No idea why we don't do more with them. I mean, surely the "aid" we supply them should be a good starting point for some mutually beneficial trade deals?
              Brazil - Whilst we are not a traditional trade partner of theirs, it's an untapped market that warrants major focus on imho.

Comment

I bet the Turks are laughing into their sweet black coffees. The Europeans postponed (refused) them entry into the exclusive club, mainly on the urging of Greece.
                Now their economy is prospering, while Greece who sucked at the tit of the Euro, has become weak and dependent.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

yes I am 100% pro single european currency

yes the nuts and bolts behind it need to be tuned

fact is if a single currency works for 49 states in the US then why can't it work in europe

fact is, during this crisis, if these countries had not had the euro then god help what would have happened - currency devaluations etc - the euro has saved the euro trading block during this crisis

fact is the euro is not going away

it is part of the plan

what we see at the moment is simply to keep the sheep gripped and you lot chatting

the rest of us just sit back and watch the show

the goal has been achieved, get these countries with remaining sovereign assets to indebt themselves then switch off credit then tell them they have to liquidate their sovereign assets to pay off their debt

and so the carousel continues

nothing new to see here

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    yes I am 100% pro single european currency

yes the nuts and bolts behind it need to be tuned

fact is if a single currency works for 49 states in the US then why can't it work in europe

fact is, during this crisis, if these countries had not had the euro then god help what would have happened - currency devaluations etc - the euro has saved the euro trading block during this crisis

fact is the euro is not going away

it is part of the plan

what we see at the moment is simply to keep the sheep gripped and you lot chatting

the rest of us just sit back and watch the show

the goal has been achieved, get these countries with remaining sovereign assets to indebt themselves then switch off credit then tell them they have to liquidate their sovereign assets to pay off their debt

and so the carousel continues

nothing new to see here

Milan.

You really are thick as 2 short planks aren't you?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X