• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday declined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday declined

I've just had my contract renewed for another 4 months due to having plans for Christmas/new year this year I will need 2 weeks off over that period, I have let them know and its been declined.

I have never had this before and don't know how to handle it really as this has been planned way before there was any hint of an extension.

Its not something I will budge on, my job is a general one so no set things to delivery by certain times etc. At the start of my last renewal I told them I would need 2 weeks off in August as I was going away on holiday and got told they would have to check to see if anyone else was out those weeks to see if it was ok??? My holiday had been already booked and paid for again well before the offer it was not me asking it was more me telling them i had to have that time!

Has anyone else had this and how have you handled it?

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    I've just had my contract renewed for another 4 months due to having plans for Christmas/new year this year I will need 2 weeks off over that period, I have let them know and its been declined.

I have never had this before and don't know how to handle it really as this has been planned way before there was any hint of an extension.

Its not something I will budge on, my job is a general one so no set things to delivery by certain times etc. At the start of my last renewal I told them I would need 2 weeks off in August as I was going away on holiday and got told they would have to check to see if anyone else was out those weeks to see if it was ok??? My holiday had been already booked and paid for again well before the offer it was not me asking it was more me telling them i had to have that time!

Has anyone else had this and how have you handled it?
    It's not a question of asking, you tell them. You did the right thing and booked outside of your contract. Nothing to do with them, you just tell them you are unavailable for that period or use your subsistiution clause.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

[QUOTE=MarillionFan;1397020]It's not a question of asking, you tell them. You did the right thing and booked outside of your contract. Nothing to do with them, you just tell them you are unavailable for that period or use your subsistiution clause.[/QUOTE] ERR 56 Autoanswer to CUK failure.

WMS

Follow my facetube on iBlogg
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It's not a question of asking, you tell them. You did the right thing and booked outside of your contract. Nothing to do with them, you just tell them you are unavailable for that period or use your subsistiution clause.
        WMFS

You're a contractor supplying your services, not an employee. You do not have to 'ask' for holiday, just tell them when you won't be available.

Sounds like your client doesn't understand the difference between an employee and a contractor.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

WTS. Tell them you won't be in those weeks and if they have a problem then you can get someone in to cover.

If you need someone to cover, I recommend my mate Bernie.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I hear the right of substitution mentioned a lot but how practical is that as I know they won't go for that at all.

Thats the thing I know its not a point of asking but telling but trying to word that in the right way without sounding an arse is difficult.
            Last edited by curtis; 22 September 2011, 15:53. Reason: ..

Comment

I hear the right of substitution mentioned a lot but how practical is that as I know they won't go for that at all.

Thats the thing I know its not a point of asking but telling but trying to word that in the right way without sounding an arse is difficult.
              "Just to let you know I am not available between the xx/xx/xx to the xx/xx/xx. If it's a problem I can arrange for a subsitute, but I will not be available then."

Not arsey is it.

And if you get the 'Oh but, blah blah'. Just do what politicians do.

"As I said, I am not available"

Comment

Just email something along the lines of:

"Regarding upcoming holidays. I won't be available between ___ and ___ as I have a holiday pre-booked that cannot be changed."

Telling them now gives them plenty of time to get their act together. They can't reasonably expect more.

If they do expect more, then that's when you say "the cost of cancellation will be y * x * d", where y is your daily rate, x is the compo factor (recommend at least '2'), and d is the number of days.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Hi <enter manager's name>,

Just to let you know, I won't be available or in the office between <startdate> and <enddate>. I will ensure that any deliverables for that period are either completed before I leave or agreed with the stakeholders that they can be performed after I return.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know so we can discuss in good time.

Kind regards,
                  MrRobin
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Just email something along the lines of:

"Regarding upcoming holidays. I won't be available between ___ and ___ as I have a holiday pre-booked that cannot be changed."

Telling them now gives them plenty of time to get their act together. They can't reasonably expect more.

If they do expect more, then that's when you say "the cost of cancellation will be y * x * d", where y is your daily rate, x is the compo factor (recommend at least '2'), and d is the number of days.

Comment

Working...
                    X