• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contact lenses vs glasses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact lenses vs glasses

I'm short sighted -3.50 each eye, with that perscription in my specs I'm fine but same perscription in contact lenses vision is not as good I can't work in them using a computer I have to use my specs. Anyone had the same issue and how did they sort it, did you just increase the contact lense perscription or will always be the case contact lenses are not as good as glasses if short sighted ?

Some opticians tend to over-compensate on the prescription between glasses and lenses. I've had it before, got the prescription tweaked by 1/2 and things were fine.

They need to be a bit weaker due to the position to your eye but it sounds as though they've gone too far.

Best you can do is speak to them.
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
      I'm short sighted -3.50 each eye, with that perscription in my specs I'm fine but same perscription in contact lenses vision is not as good I can't work in them using a computer I have to use my specs. Anyone had the same issue and how did they sort it, did you just increase the contact lense perscription or will always be the case contact lenses are not as good as glasses if short sighted ?
      I'm -3.0 in each eye, I can't get on with contacts and computer work either as my eyes feel dry and out of focus with prolonged use.

Also because I'm a vain git I have the thinnest spectacle lenses possible which makes things look smaller so when I put contacts in everything looks massive!

I find a glasses for work and disposable contacts for sport/nights out works out fine and quite cheap as I don't use many.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
        Some opticians tend to over-compensate on the prescription between glasses and lenses. I've had it before, got the prescription tweaked by 1/2 and things were fine.

They need to be a bit weaker due to the position to your eye but it sounds as though they've gone too far.

Best you can do is speak to them.
        WHS

Normally opticians give you a week to two weeks trial in them before you buy them to check they have your prescription right. If they aren't right the trial starts again until you are comfortable and will buy them. If the optician doesn't do that specificially for a first time wearer you need to go elsewhere.

In regards to be better or worse than glasses - each has their own advantages.

Contact lenses have the advantage you won't suffer from steaming up when you go indoors in winter, getting them rained on or have a baby/toddler grab them because their parents/other siblings don't wear them. There as glasses are good when you need some eye protection.

The only thing you need to be aware of when staring at a computer screen is to blink enough otherwise you will suffer from dry eyes.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contact lens prescriptions are usually slightly weaker than glasses, as they refract more efficiently with the lens being nearer the eyeball. I don't recall whether this difference is built-in to each type of lens type prescription though.

Apart from that glasses are usually easier on myopes (especially after the age of 40) because they minify and add prism which makes accommodation (focussing) and vergence (cross-eyedness) easier at close distances. The effect is opposite for long-sighted people. This is much like for normal people's eye, it's just myopes are losing some advantage normally sighted people (emmytropes) don't have when they use contacts.

Contact lenses vs spectacle... [Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

You'd have to lessen your prescription (i.e. less minus) rather than increase it. Course you could wear reading glasses as well as your current contacts I find a prescription after all corrections of -1 dioptres (slight short-sightedness) is great, as this means images at 1m are essentially at infinity, which is nice for computer work. The eyes are relaxed, with no accommodation needed. So for a prescription of -3.5, a prescription of -2.5 would do it. Even so, I don't like contacts, especially for reading.

Comment

Yes. Used to get a mild headache if I wore my glasses for ages, but contact lenses were fine. Then my prescription changed; now I get a mild headache if I wear the contact lenses for ages, but glasses are fine. It's because they make them to whichever nice round number is closest to your precise measurements.

Comment

I seems you need varifocal lenses with a + 1 + 2 added. How old are you?

BTW, I used to have a pair made up just for computer screens with a warm tint. A pair of ordinary - 2.5 could work OK
              Last edited by Paddy; 22 September 2011, 17:42.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Yes. Used to get a mild headache if I wore my glasses for ages, but contact lenses were fine. Then my prescription changed; now I get a mild headache if I wear the contact lenses for ages, but glasses are fine. It's because they make them to whichever nice round number is closest to your precise measurements.
                Usually they make the prescription up so that you can see well at long distance, unless they are bi/var/focal lenses. And the eyes need to work to see at closer distances, which gets harder as you age, and harder with contacts. Unless either happened to be a lesser prescription for distance in error of course.

Comment

Who siad that? <\Tommy Cooper>

Comment

I have monofocal contact lenses. My left eye lense is used for distance, and the optician tried a variety of strength lenses to get the ideal lense for computer work.

I also have normal daily disposables for sports etc.
                    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Working...
                    X