• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's light Jim, but not as we know it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's light Jim, but not as we know it...

BBC News - Speed-of-light experiments yield baffling result at LHC

Faster than a speeding bullit....
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    Sounds like someones second hand is slightly off
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I suspect they have simply measured something wrong, how far would their distance measurement have to be off? About 20m i think, quite a big mistake for a physics experiment.

What about frame dragging or something?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Why is there not more about this from academic sources, why the low key reports 'the discovery would overturn a key part of Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity'. And the rest, this would be monumental, it would be back to the drawing board for most of physics since Einstein. Surely not.

...that measurements over three years...
        Huh. And they kept this kept under wraps for 3 years? Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I suspect they have simply measured something wrong, how far would their distance measurement have to be off? About 20m i think, quite a big mistake for a physics experiment.

What about frame dragging or something?
          Yeah, a touch under 18 m.

Comment

Where does 20m come from? In one billionth of a second light travels 30cm so "a few billionths" suggests a distance error of more like 1-2m than 20.

Timing errors seem unlikely but distance... how DO you measure 700Km that accurately when the sensors are often underground? What's the precision of GPS and does it work underground?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Where does 20m come from? In one billionth of a second light travels 30cm so "a few billionths" suggests a distance error of more like 1-2m than 20.

Timing errors seem unlikely but distance... how DO you measure 700Km that accurately when the sensors are often underground? What's the precision of GPS and does it work underground?
              Distance = speed * time = 299,792,458 m/s * 60 * 10^-9 seconds = 17.9875...m

Edit: Ah, the BBC article didn't mention the time. Here's where I found it I think.

Antonio Ereditato, who works at the particle physics centre of the Geneva-based organisation, said measurements over three years showed the neutrinos moving 60 nanoseconds faster than light over a distance of 730km between Geneva and Gran Sasso, Italy.
              http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/science_...l?cid=31198370
              or maybe it was this one:
              http://www.haaretz.com/news/internat...light-1.386126

Neither are good sources, of which I found zero.
              Last edited by TimberWolf; 22 September 2011, 19:09. Reason: See above

Comment

In the absence of finding decent sources for this result, I've at least spotted someone who has posted the question on

High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics Forum

I've no idea whether that forum is any good either. Still, let's see if it gets any replies in the absence of anything better coming along.

Comment

It is a brave soul who makes such a claim in the face of a century of physics.

The results shall need to be repeated at a difference facility, different team, different equipment before such claims can be verified, surely?
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    It is a brave soul who makes such a claim in the face of a century of physics.

The results shall need to be repeated at a difference facility, different team, different equipment before such claims can be verified, surely?
                    Someone else is going to have a look tomorrow:
                    Ereditato declined to speculate on what it might mean if other physicists, who will be officially informed of the discovery at a meeting in CERN on Friday, found that OPERA's measurements were correct.

UPDATE 1-Particles found to break speed of light | Reuters
                    Presumably they haven't measured the distance directly with light, as it mentions the particles travel through water and rock. So I wonder how they measured the distance accurate to less than 18m.

Comment

Working...
                    X