• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BA trying to act like my manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BA trying to act like my manager

Hi all

Currently a permie, and yes I know this isn't Permie UK, but the problem may be of interest to others, and I'm sure the panel will have some interesting ideas on how to tackle it regardless.

I'm a dev team lead - one of several dev team leads working on the same large project. We've got a relatively new business analyst joined us, and I had my first meeting with him today. I need to work with him to get some information from the business.

He suggested this meeting as a way of finding out what support I need from him in getting the information I need - great, that the BA's job - to get the information from the business, and provide it to me.

I explained how I was structuring the spreadsheet that we would use to capture this information, and what my next steps would be in its construction (basically building a matrix to match up what we think the requirements are to a slightly different set that they recently provided).

Through the conversation, he started saying stuff like "could you please add another tab for blah blah blah", and then at the end of the conversation he said something like "if you could just carry on with building that matrix, that would be great". Talking like he's my boss or something, and talking as if the work I'd already said I was doing was some task he'd given to me.

Then later on I hear him say to the project manager "I've given cybersquatter the task of building this matrix". Errrr what? No mate, you're supporting me in getting the information from the business, not directing me and giving me tasks, and in any case, the matrix is something I'm building of my own volition to make both of our lives easier.

I feel like I need to nip this behaviour in the bud, or he's going to try and push me around again. I'm thinking of saying something next time like "Look mate, I just need your support in getting the information we need from the business, I don't need tasks or direction from you."

Or am I just being a permie prima donna?
    Last edited by cybersquatter; 22 September 2011, 19:00.

Well, you could send the spreadsheet to the PM with a comment...." here's a spreadsheet i've been working on for a few weeks. fred (BA) has asked for additional tabs to record detail but I don't think they should be included in mine as the detail is not what i require.... are you ok for me to ask fred to capture his requirements independently and we will combine spreadsheets later on..."
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

That made me think.

permieuk.com is available to buy!

To the original poster - whether BA can or can not tell you what to do depends greatly on terms of his/her contract...

Comment

You are being a bit of prima donna but that bloke is a dick and he's none too bright. I'd suck it all up, bide my time and drop him in it from a distance when he's least expecting it.

If you start whinning around about "he's not allowed to boss me about" your're just going to look like that weedy dude of the office who winds up with his stapler in jelly.
        Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 22 September 2011, 19:17.

Comment

What is the best way for this work to be done?
          If this matrix thingy is the best, then you should support him in this. If not then suggest an alternative, and fight your corner.

If he keeps coming up with better ways of doing things than you then why shouldn't he be your manager. You can claim credit for drawing senior management to his obvious talents, and bask in the reflected glory...

..Well as much glory as can be had as a permie, which is in reality a miserable existance.

Comment

How about taking sick leave with back pain or turrets syndrome.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
              Or am I just being a permie prima donna?
              Get used to it. If you were working with me you would be under no misconception that I was in charge, you were doing the matrix, making me tea and giving me a blow job if I decided that you had a purdy mouth. Your a perm, bow down to your contracting masters.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Get used to it. If you were working with me you would be under no misconception that I was in charge, you were doing the matrix, making me tea and giving me a blow job if I decided that you had a purdy mouth. Your a perm, bow down to your contracting masters.
                WMFS

I've now registered that domain, forum opening tomorrow noon

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  WMFS

I've now registered that domain, forum opening tomorrow noon
                  is JobseekersAllowance.co.uk and LutonPikeys.co.uk available???
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    is JobseekersAllowance.co.uk and LutonPikeys.co.uk available???
                    I have not checked, you?

btw which bank cashes GIRO cheques?

Comment

Working...
                    X