• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travellers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travellers

Just watched Nigel Kennedy on the politics show complaining about the "raay-sism" directed towards members of the travelling community with particular respect to the Dale Farm debacle.

Personally I thought he talked a load of bollocks. In my dealings with travellers over the years, I've come to the conclusion that the only group that can be defined racially is the Romanies. The rest of them are a bunch of trust fund hippies and Irish tinkers.

Goy; just like the rest of you in other words.
    Last edited by pacharan; 22 September 2011, 23:30.

Travelling is fine.

Illegally occupying someone elses property isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Travelling is fine.

Illegally occupying someone elses property isn't.
      Nor is theft, handling stolen goods, intimidation, or tax avoidance. (Allegedly)
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Travelling is fine.

Illegally occupying your own property isn't.
        FTFY

Comment

As for 'race'. Romanies are not particularly racially (i.e. genetically) different from the communities they live in. A more useful term is ehtnicity, which is broader than genetic make up and encompasses considerations such a linguistic, religious and cultural differences, the Race Relations Act specifically highlights three 'non-racial' ethinc groups: Sikhs, Jews, Romany Gypsies. This has been expanded to include Irish Travellers. The problem with looking at this question in purely racial / genetic terms is that it ignores the reality of racism. To take an extreme example, if being Jewish or Romany is enough to get someone murdered in a concentration camp, then we shouldn't quibble over whether it is racism or not.

Comment

I think while they are there and refusing to leave HMRC should take the opportunity and send the inspectors in. Thoroughly go through the books of all those on site.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              As for 'race'. Romanies are not particularly racially (i.e. genetically) different from the communities they live in. A more useful term is ehtnicity, which is broader than genetic make up and encompasses considerations such a linguistic, religious and cultural differences, the Race Relations Act specifically highlights three 'non-racial' ethinc groups: Sikhs, Jews, Romany Gypsies. This has been expanded to include Irish Travellers. The problem with looking at this question in purely racial / genetic terms is that it ignores the reality of racism. To take an extreme example, if being Jewish or Romany is enough to get someone murdered in a concentration camp, then we shouldn't quibble over whether it is racism or not.
              If you have seen Romanies in Eastern Europe you would have noticed that they are very different from the communities they live in. They are much nearer Indian Origin and dark skinned. In some Eastern European countries they are given special assistance in housing, schools etc as a minority group
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                If you have seen Romanies in Eastern Europe you would have noticed that they are very different from the communities they live in. They are much nearer Indian Origin and dark skinned. In some Eastern European countries they are given special assistance in housing, schools etc as a minority group
                You do know what a genotype and a phenotype is?

The quote you highlighted from Old Greg mentioned the former.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In principal there ought to be more sites for travellers, provision surely must cost less than council houses and they certainly take up less room. In theory, if they are proper sites, they are supposed to pay council tax and get refuse collection etc so not the problems of rubbish etc as with illegal sites.

There are three main points/problems they need to address I reckon. a) If many are Irish or other foreign nationals (can't find any stats) why should the UK be bearing that cost? b) Crime. Not sure if they are any worse than those of similar low income but certainly higher than well off areas they may stay in, so one can see why the locals resent them c) Education. Among the lowest acheivers in the country. Not a great asset for local schools to get a continual turnover of these kids.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    a) If many are Irish or other foreign nationals (can't find any stats) why should the UK be bearing that cost?
                    Indeed. I've also heard it said that there is (or at least was) a steady stream of them coming in. As one lot get set up on an illegal camp, another lot buys up a field, does a nocturnal tarmac job and then the convoy rolls off of Irish Ferries and somebody's got 300 new neighbours!

Comment

Working...
                    X