PDA

View Full Version : Airmiles

chef
23rd September 2011, 07:43
who are you a member of?

what level?

which is the best in terms of minimal number of flights against benefits earned?

filthy1980
23rd September 2011, 07:50
who are you a member of?

what level?

which is the best in terms of minimal number of flights against benefits earned?

just taken a BMI credit card out they give 1.5 airmiles for every £ spent, considering i spend about £1k a month on my card, i'm hoping to build up some miles pretty quick, i think they also give you around 500 miles if you spend £250 in the first month

alreadypacked
23rd September 2011, 07:53
I have several different air-miles accounts, but for some reason most of the flights don't get credited. I book on-line, checkin on-line, print my own boarding pass etc. I think there is a bug in the system.

So I never have enought miles to take a flight. :throw:

chef
23rd September 2011, 07:59
I have several different air-miles accounts, but for some reason most of the flights don't get credited. I book on-line, checkin on-line, print my own boarding pass etc. I think there is a bug in the system.

all airmile accounts allow you to retro credit flights

another slightly related question, who in your opinion has the best quality service?

SueEllen
23rd September 2011, 08:13
I thought this was a thread about the airmile changes that people are complaining (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2032975/Airmiles-charges-Customers-face-fees-free-flights-Airmiles-rebrands-Avios.html) about

Pondlife
23rd September 2011, 08:21
I have a handful of miles with BA and Continental's program but not enough to go anywhere really. I have top tier with KLM and can therefore (depending on ticket type) rack up miles quite quickly as I get double.

KLM service is generally ok and they have lounge access in most airports.

The kicker with miles is that you still have to pay the taxes. For my last trip this was €400 each plus 25K miles each way per person!

If I had the choice, for long haul it would be Virgin or BA, for short hall they are all much the same IMHO (excluding "budget airlines").

alreadypacked
23rd September 2011, 08:51
all airmile accounts allow you to retro credit flights another slightly related question, who in your opinion has the best quality service?

You can if you remember to keep all the details to fill out their form, which will have a mandatory field for the one bit of information you don't have. :tantrum:

For short-haul Europe, I like Air Berlin, for long-haul business class, I like Air France. Different parts of the world I like different airlines, but would not travel BA.

Spacecadet
23rd September 2011, 09:01

I noticed when I flew regularly with KLM that certain bookings got more air mile credits than others. It might be the case that the bookings you're making are not eligible for air miles

alreadypacked
23rd September 2011, 09:23
I noticed when I flew regularly with KLM that certain bookings got more air mile credits than others. It might be the case that the bookings you're making are not eligible for air miles

No, I get statements like this:

Status miles collected: 5,118 ....... Flights completed: 4
Status miles to be collected: 14,882 ....... Flights to be completed: 20

I would have to find the flight details for 20 flight and fill in 20 forms, it would be cheaper just to pay for the flight.

Spacecadet
23rd September 2011, 09:26
Status miles to be collected: 14,882 ....... Flights to be completed: 20[/COLOR]

Does this refer to flights you have taken or flights you will need to take to maintain or promote your card status?

alreadypacked
23rd September 2011, 09:38
Does this refer to flights you have taken or flights you will need to take to maintain or promote your card status?

I have booked and taken the 20 flights, but somehow the flights have not been credited to my account. I think it is because I have checked-in on-line and did not check-in any luggage at the check-in. Whatever the reason I don't have the air-miles, and will not get them if I don't fill out the forms.

doodab
23rd September 2011, 12:19
I cannot be arsed with them. I built up quite a few when working in germany, when i tried to put them toward part credit for a flight it was going to cost more than i usually paid!

A lot of cheaper non refundable flights, i.e. the ones you normally buy online, only count half or a quarter.

swamp
23rd September 2011, 14:06
I collect BA Miles (soon to be Avios) and BMI Destination Miles, mainly by credit cards and online shopping.

The BMI card is particularly good: 1.5 miles/£ + 20,000 free miles. BA are much less generous, but they are more useful as BA is a 'better' airline. You can also channel many other points schemes to BA Miles in quite ingenious ways, eg EON Gas/Electric -> Tesco Club Card -> BA Miles. It all adds up :)

northernladuk
23rd September 2011, 14:18

This is because of the rate that you pay on the actual trip. If you paid full whack (i.e. booked it late) you would get more miles, if you get the seats at a discounted prices (either booked early or with some code or 3rd party) it will be less. The thing that hacks me off about this is you don't know if the rate you are getting will give good miles or not. I remember with BA they can tell from one of the codes on your ticket but couldn't say for other airlines.

v8gaz
23rd September 2011, 14:19
Virgin Atlantic - Credit card gets you 2 miles per pound, and you can also rack up the miles in hotels and by buying Virgin stuff like Virgin wines.

Virgin wine give you 750 miles per delivery. I have 500,000 miles. I like wine. :happy

All expenses go through the card. I get to take my family somewhere nice on Upper Class on airmiles every couple of years. This year is was Cape Town.

Can't be beaten for ease of collection. Only issue is that it's hard to get free UC flights during school holidays. Not a problem if you don't have kids.

Check out V-Flyer: The Independent Virgin Travel Community for Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America and Virgin Blue (http://www.v-flyer.com) for top tips on how to collect and any special offers.

northernladuk
23rd September 2011, 14:21
I have loads of airmiles as I never end up spending them. The prices for their trips are just too expensive. If I look for a weekend break to Europe it always seems to give Airmiles+ £XX and more often than not the £XX is more than if I found a low cost option and went with them. Spend 10 mins on the site, get disappointed and then forget it for 6 months. With all the complaining going on I can't see that getting any better.

Spacecadet
23rd September 2011, 14:28
This is because of the rate that you pay on the actual trip. If you paid full whack (i.e. booked it late) you would get more miles, if you get the seats at a discounted prices (either booked early or with some code or 3rd party) it will be less. The thing that hacks me off about this is you don't know if the rate you are getting will give good miles or not. I remember with BA they can tell from one of the codes on your ticket but couldn't say for other airlines.

the KLM website actually colour coded the options at the time of booking:
IIRC it went something like:
green = 100% miles
yellow = 50%
red = 0%

usually the savings made by getting the cheapest ticket possible made up for the lack of air miles several times over, but the flight would still count towards one of the flights required for the membership upgrades. membership upgrades were calculated on miles travelled or number of flights, whichever crossed the threshold first and a higher card class gives better airport privileges (fast checkin and free access to the lounge)

milanbenes
23rd September 2011, 14:41
Im platinum

I get a guaranteed upgrade on every flight foc

I clock up about 15k miles a month

and just spent 150,000 of me miles on a samsung galaxy s II

how's that

not so good cos it's looks like from October I have to change airlines and start using luftwaffa and as far as I understand they're not so generous with their rewards programme

Milan.

northernladuk
23rd September 2011, 14:52
Im platinum

I get a guaranteed upgrade on every flight foc

I clock up about 15k miles a month

and just spent 150,000 of me miles on a samsung galaxy s II

how's that

not so good cos it's looks like from October I have to change airlines and start using luftwaffa and as far as I understand they're not so generous with their rewards programme

Milan.

They are not but if you travel alot the are accepted by over 140 other hotels/flier programs and you can also transfer hotel points to it from the likes Accor, Hilton, Marriot if you want to put all your miles in one pot. The link below shows all the partners that accept it.

Lufthansa Miles & More : Frequent Flyer Programs and other Loyalty Programs (http://www.tsbot.de/program_details_36_lufthansa-miles-amp-3b-more_eng.html)

northernladuk
23rd September 2011, 14:55
Also the link below is fun. It shows you how to convert all your miles/hotel points from one scheme in to another. Many are a direct comparison but some of them can involve hops through 3 or 4 other schemes. A bit of a pain in the ass but clever way of getting those few stays on to your main choice of scheme

Mileage Converter - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority (http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/)