• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

its 0352 in the morning everything has gone tits up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its 0352 in the morning everything has gone tits up...

so what is everyone else doing........
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Advice

Reboot everything in the computer centre and then tell the Ops people that you had a power failure , that will give you time to work out whats really wrong before all the managers get wind of it and then subsequently ring you one after another asking daft questions about what went wrong and how do we prevent it in future.... blah blah blah ..when actually what they are really doing is denying you the time you need to actually find out whats wrong and fix it by forcing you to listen to their useless advice.

Comment

now its 0751 26 hours on the clock so far...things are looking up!!!! service back by 1200me thinks then a long beer in the bar!
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
        now its 0751 26 hours on the clock so far...things are looking up!!!! service back by 1200me thinks then a long beer in the bar!

Oi Gooner!!! What's that flashing red light on that server... Is it a good flashing red light?

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
          so what is everyone else doing........
          1: Why does the post time say 01:53 yet you state it's 03:52 are you trying to elicit more sympathy?

2: By a scary coincidence I awoke at 03:52 this morning as a result of a vivid dream about a job I used to do! do you think this could be related?

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
            1: Why does the post time say 01:53 yet you state it's 03:52 are you trying to elicit more sympathy?

2: By a scary coincidence I awoke at 03:52 this morning as a result of a vivid dream about a job I used to do! do you think this could be related?
            well the laptop is set to Paris time, so I don't know where this server gets its time from....but it must be two hours away...
            SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Sort of related question, as you sound like you do overnight support

I have to do overnight support for two weeks every month, 24/7, and things go t*ts up at least 4 times a week, so have to login from home, on I hate to say the clients lap top, (they wont let me use my own).

From an IR35 perspective how does this kind of Support stand, would I be better demanding payment for this work or taking time in leu ? Do you think this kind of support work pulls me into IR35 ie clients laptop etc, my contract doesnt state the support part of my role as I came in today x but now do y.

Last edited by Ivor1; 19 April 2006, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1

I have to do overnight support for two weeks every month, 24/7, and things go t*ts up at least 4 times a week, so have to login from home, on I hate to say the clients lap top, (they wont let me use my own).

From an IR35 perspective how does this kind of Support stand, would I be better demanding payment for this work or taking time in leu ? Do you think this kind of support work pulls me into IR35 ie clients laptop etc, my contract doesnt state the support part of my role as I came in today x but now do y.

Request a contract variation or even addtional contract to cover these NEW deliverables. Do NOT provide Y when you were contracted to provide X otherwise you are leaving yourself wide open to IR35 challenge.

Insist on payment for services provided - "time off in lieu" is something that permies do.

If you have to use the clients laptop for reasons of security/access then have it specifically stated in the contract (this is quite reasonable and would not indicate IR35 caught as its very common for clients to insist on their own kit even for mega-consultancy staff)

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1

Sorry can't really help - I don't do overnight support, well not unless there is a problem and my pre negotiated rates then come into place
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                  X