• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hydrofoil to France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrofoil to France

Just been rappin with one of my crew from the pub and the subject of conversation was cross channel transportation.

Gave me a rundown of the old hovercraft operating companies, the routes they ran and the craft in the fleet. Basically, there were 2 companies; Hoverlloyd and Seaspeed. These merged to become Hovered in 1981 but e mentally became defunct with the outing of the channel tunnel.

What he did tell me though, wad that there used to be a hydrofoil service from Tower Bridge to France. Can anyone confirm this? I've certain.ly never heard of it. What a groot used- they should bring it back.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    there used to be a hydrofoil service from Tower Bridge to France.
    I can confirm it.

The last known passenger was the man seen wearing iron mask.

Rumour has it was actually Gordon Brown going back in time to change his future but he missed by a couple of centuries.

Comment

SRN4, ahhhh

Comment

Just been rappin with one of my crew from the pub and the subject of conversation was cross channel transportation.

Gave me a rundown of the old hovercraft operating companies, the routes they ran and the craft in the fleet. Basically, there were 2 companies; Hoverlloyd and Seaspeed. These merged to become Hovered in 1981 but e mentally became defunct with the outing of the channel tunnel.

What he did tell me though, wad that there used to be a hydrofoil service from Tower Bridge to France. Can anyone confirm this? I've certain.ly never heard of it. What a groot used- they should bring it back.
        Go and have a look at a map or Google Earth. Look at the route from London to France and then think about your question.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There was an old shipping route - see Tower Bridge opens as wine merchant sails historic shipping route | Mail Online

Comment

Hydrofoil To Belgium

Actually, it ran between London and Belgium. From classicfastferries.com:

Europe's premiere Jetfoil service, marketed as P&O Jet Ferries, was inaugurated on June 1.

Linking central London and Belgium, P&O had chosen Zeebrugge as its continental terminal rather than Oostende as it was already present there through one of its associated companies.

With a scheduled journey time of 3 hours 45 minutes for the 136 nautical mile route one daily round trip was operated, leaving Zeebrugge in the morning and returning from London in the mid-afternoon. Fares for traveling on the Jetfoil were lower than those by air and higher than by conventional ferry.

By that time however the company had
            announced it was to introduce two second generation Jetfoil 929 –115s of its own between London and Oostende. The first of these would be delivered in time for the 1979 season but since P&O did not want a one-craft operation the charter of Flying Princess would be extended until the second 929 –115 would become available in May 1980. Due to, in part, delays related to the relocating in London, from St. Katherine's Dock to a site next to Tower Bridge, the opening date was pushed to, first, September and then February 1980.

With no employment for Flying Princess on the London – Oostende route for some time, another newly established cross-Channel Jetfoil operator, Jetlink Ferries, accepted an offer by BMS to lease the hydrofoil as a back-up for its own 929 –115, which had suffered a malfunction, as well as extra capacity on the Brighton – Dieppe SeaJet service during the 1979 high season.

The P&O Jet Ferries London – Oostende service finally got underway in late February 1980 with the first of the company's 929 –115s and Flying Princess.

The second new craft entered service in June by which time three round trips a day were operated. But only seven months after the service had been launched P&O decided to close down the route and put its two 929 – 115s on the market.

Comment

Just been rappin with one of my crew from the pub
              Yeah, sure you have. Wouldn't you feel more at home on tediousilliterateadolescent.com??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Yeah, sure you have. Wouldn't you feel more at home on tediousilliterateadolescent.com??

It's RichardCranium.

He's still on the bench I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  It's RichardCranium.

He's still on the bench I see.
                  Ahhhh! Leave him alone.

There are many types of people in the world. Winners. Losers. And then there are also those who losers look at and think, thank god I'm not like him.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Ahhhh! Leave him alone.

There are many types of people in the world. Winners. Losers. And then there are also those who losers look at and think, thank god I'm not like him.
                    And there are those who display an abundance of sensitivity.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    If you've had to apply to 600 odd positions before getting a contract only to find yourself benched less than a year later then there is a reason. The reason is you're not cut out for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X