• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4918582.stm

Interesting the contrasts of the middle classes, now flush with money and aspirations to the slums (yes real poverty Mr Brown, not just lack of plasma TV's).

How the poor are trying to pull themsleves out of the slums and how growth is at 10%.

No mention of "fairness", or how greedy the middle classes are and how punitive taxes should be levied against them etc.

Just everyone doing what they can to improve their own lives.

How refreshing.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4918582.stm

Interesting the contrasts of the middle classes, now flush with money and aspirations to the slums (yes real poverty Mr Brown, not just lack of plasma TV's).

How the poor are trying to pull themsleves out of the slums and how growth is at 10%.

No mention of "fairness", or how greedy the middle classes are and how punitive taxes should be levied against them etc.

Just everyone doing what they can to improve their own lives.

How refreshing.
    The indian middle classes dont need to worry about helping their own poor because the UK taxpayer already helps out quite nicely.

UK aid to India currently stands at around £250 million pa.

Its all about fairness

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
      The indian middle classes dont need to worry about helping their own poor because the UK taxpayer already helps out quite nicely.

Its all about fairness
      That's about £3 per. poor person per year - a great help indeed. My daily bus fare is more than that.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad

Its all about fairness
        That's still only half the Indian Space Programme budget. Yes, the Indian Space Programme.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
          That's about £3 per. poor person per year - a great help indeed. My daily bus fare is more than that.
          You think the poor actually get that money?

Oh dear (tm)
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
            Yes - I agree its pretty pathetic....and about £3 per poor person p.a. more than the Indian middle classes are contributing to their own people.

Comment

Filthy disgusting middle classes. Where's Blair and Brown when you need them.

Comment

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47212

Comment

New phrase!

"Much of it is of course part of the informal economy of India, the parallel economy as we like to call it.

Expect this new description to be touted far and wide. No more Black, grey or informal economy its the parallel economy.

I'd like to see these emerging countries to be encouraged to support the initiatives that we really should be supporting fully.

We are working towards abolishing global poverty and injustice in the UK this means a playstation, Plasma TV in every council home, and a caution for anyone bending the rules by driving without insurance or battering their spouse, abroad it means buying the local dictator a new jet.

Green issues like building loads of gas fired power stations (I wonder which future Peer has a power station construction company?) or concreting the south east, abroad we just consume cheap goods from emerging countries whilst failing to ensure they use enviromentally friendly raw materials.

Employment standards such as importing cheap labour to put ethnic minorites out of work such as in the Airline food market or stealing third world doctors so they can work for free in the NHS .

Improving global stability by dismantling democracy and free speech in the UK abroad by invading any country with oil.

Like we can comment on the morality of foreign powers.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X