• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This got me thinking...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This got me thinking...

BBC News - Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare

Could a few million bobs replace you lot? ...Nah it will never happen.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Sounds like a load of rubbish. They might just as well have kept a record of single correct characters and saved a lot more time.

This is different to writing an entire text by monkey chance.

Comment

this line explains the fatal flaw in that theory:

Also in 2003, Paignton Zoo carried out a practical test by putting a keyboard connected to a PC into the cage of six crested macaques. After a month the monkeys had produced five pages of the letter "S" and had broken the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        This is different to writing an entire text by monkey chance.

Not really. It's just that the longer the match they try to find, the longer it will take.

As it's inevitable that given enough time any body of text can be replicated using random character selection, the whole task is pretty pointless.

I wonder how much all that Amazon service usage is costing? Some people must have money to burn. Unless Amazon are donating it for the publicity.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Not really. It's just that the longer the match they try to find, the longer it will take.

As it's inevitable that given enough time any body of text can be replicated using random character selection, the whole task is pretty pointless.
          The problem is that there isn't enough time, the prof of maths in the article reckons it would take longer than the age of the universe.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I wonder how much all that Amazon service usage is costing? Some people must have money to burn. Unless Amazon are donating it for the publicity.
          £12.40 a day. It mentions it in the article.

Comment

Working...
          X