• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

working interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working interview

Anyone had one?

What to expect?

Actually, it's my first interview in 12 years - scary but true. Permie for 10 years, then last 2 years all work has been through contacts - "Can you do this?", "Yes", was about as technical as it got.

Gives me a chance to wear my new suit.

I've had a couple of interviews where I've been asked to fix some bugs - they took about 1.5 hours.
    Your best bet is to get the agent to ask the client (and find out how long they expect you to be there)

Good luck
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Contractor interviews can be funny.
      I've had one which lasted 5 minutes followed by a "When can you start?".
      And another one where there were two of us applying for the same contract and both of us were given some code to write. The other guy must have been a bulltulipter becuase he got redder and redder. Eventually he was shown the door and I got the contract.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        I've had a couple of interviews where I've been asked to fix some bugs - they took about 1.5 hours.
        Your best bet is to get the agent to ask the client (and find out how long they expect you to be there)

Good luck
        Sounds like the sort of thing - they said a couple of hours. Should be fine as long as I can google.
        Their developer leaves on Wednesday so I think they're desperate. Which has got to go in my favour.
        Rate is tulip, but just down the road, and only for 8 weeks and gets me back into development, so probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Sounds like the sort of thing - they said a couple of hours. Should be fine as long as I can google.
          Their developer leaves on Wednesday so I think they're desperate. Which has got to go in my favour.
          Rate is tulip, but just down the road, and only for 8 weeks and gets me back into development, so probably worth it.
          Print out some cheat sheets and take them with you, just in case Mr Google is not at home.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Anyone had one?

What to expect?

Actually, it's my first interview in 12 years - scary but true. Permie for 10 years, then last 2 years all work has been through contacts - "Can you do this?", "Yes", was about as technical as it got.

Gives me a chance to wear my new suit.
            Only ever had one and it was a one 1 hr flight away. At the end of the day I told the client that working conditions are fine and I would be happy to take on the role.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Contractor interviews can be funny.
              I've had one which lasted 5 minutes followed by a "When can you start?".
              And another one where there were two of us applying for the same contract and both of us were given some code to write. The other guy must have been a bulltulipter becuase he got redder and redder. Eventually he was shown the door and I got the contract.
              It was this kind of thing. Create database and webpage. Got the gig.

Comment

Well done!
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Comment

Congrats
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X