• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weak pound on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak pound on the way

One of the advantages of being outside the Eurozone is you can devalue the pound, so giving everyone an effective pay cut:

Weak pound is here to stay warns Bank of England expert as he says new round of quantitative easing is close | Mail Online
    I'm alright Jack

£1 = Euro 1 parity then?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Where do we put our pounds to keep them safe then?

Comment

Lloyds TSB and RBS shares, boomed!!!!
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I noticed the £ / $ rate had slumped recently, perhaps it will have to be a campsite in Cornwall next year
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I've sussed out how not to spend much abroad already, it involves a fair bit of walking (but not necessarily) and a hammock. Boomed.

<£50 holidays abroad are possible and still great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I've sussed out how not to spend much abroad already, it involves a fair bit of walking (but not necessarily) and a hammock. Boomed.

<£50 holidays abroad are possible and still great fun.
              Spent a lot of time in my youth just packing a rucksack with some spare clothes, usual useful items and a sleeping bag. Only other item was a mandolin which was small and light for earning money by busking. Made it to Paris on a tenner, had a some fun there and got back with a tenner to spare.

Many similar trips in the UK and abroad so if you don't count busking as working most of these 'holidays' didn't cost a penny.

I prefer a bit more luxury these days.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Where do we put our pounds to keep them safe then?
                You buy property. It might be stupidly overvalued, but you buy a big 5 bed detached house with as much land as you can afford.,

A 5 bed house is a 5 bed house and even when the people are wiping their arses on £50 notes, it will be a 5 bed house with land.

Look back at Weimar Germany. Winners had property and gold and jewels and fine art, and even huge debts. Losers were "millionaires" with DM in the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  You buy property.
                  WHS

May the interest rates stay record low

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    WHS

May the interest rates stay record low
                    You buying that flat then?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment