• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shipwreck reveals £150m silver haul

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipwreck reveals £150m silver haul

Love this story, particularly the history behind it including the reference to the Lloyds of London insurance records.

Would have thought HMG would have been able to negotiate more than a 20% cut though.

Shipwreck of SS Gairsoppa reveals £150m silver haul.

This explains large drop in silver prices.

I guess they've also found shiprecks with lots of gold too.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      This explains large drop in silver prices.

I guess they've also found shiprecks with lots of gold too.
      Years ago I was part of a team trying to salvage gold and silver from a wreck off the coast of Ireland. Failed of course, located the wreck but despite many attempts to locate the bullion it proved elusive and is still down there.

I'm keeping it a secret though, you never know...
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Start selling maps to the treasure to local tourists there or even better - retirement homes at lake called Chicamacomico

Comment

Start selling maps to the treasure to local tourists there or even better - retirement homes at lake called Chicamacomico
          Actually since our attempt several teams have had a go and all failed. The problem is the wreck broke up and over time a lot of the ship has collapsed effectively burying the location of the bullion making it extremely difficult to access and recover. Some valuable items were recovered during our attempt though which paid for the salvage operation such as it was, I still have a couple of recovered items - White Star line artifacts still interest collectors.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Love this story, particularly the history behind it including the reference to the Lloyds of London insurance records.

Would have thought HMG would have been able to negotiate more than a 20% cut though.

Shipwreck of SS Gairsoppa reveals £150m silver haul.
            No, 20% of something they never expected for doing bugger all is a reasonable return.

The research must have been quite an investment and the recovery operation is going to eat into a good chunk of that £120 million since it's 4.7km down.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              No, 20% of something they never expected for doing bugger all is a reasonable return.

The research must have been quite an investment and the recovery operation is going to eat into a good chunk of that £120 million since it's 4.7km down.
              When viewed like that I agree but why pay HMG anything seeing as the wreck is in international waters and HMG have already been compensated, at the time of the sinking, via insurance from Lloyds?

I'd imagine HMG must have some legal stake so the 20% is essentially a buy-off which makes me think that perhaps there would have been some room for (harder) negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                I'd imagine HMG must have some legal stake so the 20% is essentially a buy-off which makes me think that perhaps there would have been some room for (harder) negotiation.
                Look mate, it's like this - you pay up 20% or you get your thumbs broken, ok?

Jack
                Outland Revenue

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Years ago I was part of a team trying to salvage gold and silver from a wreck off the coast of Ireland. Failed of course, located the wreck but despite many attempts to locate the bullion it proved elusive and is still down there.

Lusitania?

Comment

Look mate, it's like this - you pay up 20% or you get your thumbs broken, ok?

Jack
                    Outland Revenue
                    As long as I can still do this

....................../´¯/)
                    ....................,/¯../
                    .................../..../
                    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
                    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
                    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
                    .........\.................'...../
                    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
                    ............\..............(