• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government plans could cut a third or more off thousands of house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government plans could cut a third or more off thousands of house prices

Thousands of house prices could fall by a third or more if Coalition Government proposals to change planning rules in favour of developers become law, knocking hundreds of thousands of pounds off some of the most desirable homes in the green belt.

Many estate agents are reluctant to discuss this potential domestic disaster because they are linked to building and development companies who stand to gain if given a free hand to brick over the fields and meadows that make England such a green and pleasant land.

But David Pardoe, a director of Chesterton Humberts’ rural division in Salisbury, was among those willing to speak out. He told me: “It is the larger and higher value country houses that will suffer the most if developers are given the go ahead to build in green belt and other protected areas, as it could jeopardize three of the factors by which a country house is valued; its privacy levels, the views it has, and its proximity to other properties.

“If a substantial country house were to lose its picturesque country views, it could be decreased in value by at least 30pc, depending on the desirability of its location. Generally, the higher value the property is, the higher the percentage decrease could be.”

Similarly, Charles Ellingworth, founder of home search agents, Property Vision, said: “If you have a good house that has its view ruined, you would be looking at a 30pc to 40pc devaluation.

Source: Government plans could cut a third or more off thousands of house prices – Telegraph Blogs

All that as soon as I visited my mortgage advisor?

“If a substantial country house were to lose its picturesque country views, it could be decreased in value by at least 30pc, depending on the desirability of its location. Generally, the higher value the property is, the higher the percentage decrease could be.”

Don't worry, the concrete tulipbox you are about to buy in the centre of an industrial wasteland won't be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Don't worry, the concrete tulipbox you are about to buy in the centre of an industrial wasteland won't be affected.
      Oh goody ...

Comment

This should mean boom for me, the more tulippy small new builds that are being thrown up at a massively overpriced list price, the more my house looks appealing
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My neighbour across the road, a 22 year
          old Page 3 model likes to walk around naked in her house.

It's not added anything to the
          price of our house but I've cricked my neck
          a few times while leaning out of
          the window to get a better look:
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't want a tulipty small build at big price + mortgage for life for a tulip box. Let me buy an affordable small plot of land that I can put down my own straw bails. Total cost when middle men and rich landowners are taken out of the equation: £50. It would be better than a tulip box too.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I don't want a tulipty small build at big price + mortgage for life for a tulip box. Let me buy an affordable small plot of land that I can put down my own straw bails
              Why bother? Just get caravans then settle on land and keep using tax payer funded legal aid to prevent yourself being evicted, what's not to like?

I mean FFS, is there any other country in the world where squatters right take precedence over legal owner rights?!?!

Comment

Working...
              X