• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Average / Reasonable Time to spend at One ClinetCo?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average / Reasonable Time to spend at One ClinetCo?

In your opinion what would you say was the average time you've spent at any single ClientCo?

How many extensions?

Just wondering what the norm is ........

Ta in advance

Most places roll 3 month contracts and I always make sure that I get at least one renewal. However I tend to stick around for 18 months or until I can sensibly source the next piece of work and leave the client without causing mayhem.

Comment

I've had project based stuff from a few days to several months. One gig had rolling 6 and 12 month contracts for 4 years.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

1-2 years or the length of a project.

But less if I don't like the contract (not renewing as opposed to giving notice).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I've had project based stuff from a few days to several months. One gig had rolling 6 and 12 month contracts for 4 years.
          I guess much of it is to do with timing / opportunity as well as ability. I've had a couple of extensions but it would appear the work is drying up - at least in the short term. Hey ho, xmas on the bench may not be all that bad .......

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
            I guess much of it is to do with timing / opportunity as well as ability. I've had a couple of extensions but it would appear the work is drying up - at least in the short term. Hey ho, xmas on the bench may not be all that bad .......
            Xmas on the bench is not a problem. My worry is always that nothing then appears in the following January / February. The problem is that mid December to mid January is a total dead time so you can't even gauge the market and decide to ignore that boring looking role as even they don't appear on the boards.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Xmas on the bench is not a problem. My worry is always that nothing then appears in the following January / February. The problem is that mid December to mid January is a total dead time so you can't even gauge the market and decide to ignore that boring looking role as even they don't appear on the boards.
              Hmm, cheers for the advice, I must admit my (potentially) first time on the bench is making me feel a little nervous !

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
                Hmm, cheers for the advice, I must admit my (potentially) first time on the bench is making me feel a little nervous !
                The architecture market has quite a bit on at the moment so that must bode well for engineering and the other down stream positions in the next few months...

Comment

Currently approaching 6 years. Kerching.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Over 4 stints with 3 client co's I have averaged 14 months if you count on a stint basis and I have averaged 20 months if you count on a client co basis. Any breaks between contracts have always been max 1 week that I have asked for in order to have a little break between gigs.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X