• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ooops: Caller deluge hits debt helplines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooops: Caller deluge hits debt helplines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4621002.stm

"The financial hangover from Christmas has begun to take its toll with record numbers ringing debt helplines.
    Both the Citizens Advice Bureau and Consumer Credit Counselling Service have said their debt advice lines have had more calls than normal for January.

National Debtline has had 12,000 calls since 3 January - making it the busiest month since it was set up in 1987.

The group put the surge down to more public awareness that help is available rather than a jump in debt levels.

"Calls are certainly up and we are taking on another 25 staff, " National Debtline spokesman Richard Gale said.

Mounting bills

He added that calls to the group usually rose following the Christmas period as people began to take stock of their spending.

The average caller to the service owed between £5,000 and £15,000, he added.

",

Milan.

ahhhh the joys of being debt free

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4621002.stm

The group put the surge down to more public awareness that help is available rather than a jump in debt levels.
      Not sure that statement is entirely true - credit debt appears to be accelerating.

http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debtstats.htm
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by janey
        ahhhh the joys of being debt free

Shhhh. Gordo will want to tax you for not being dependent on the state if he finds out.

Comment

I would have thought it was common knowledge by now that we're all doomed.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Excellent post, Benes. A splendid return to "oh dear" form after a puzzling dalliance with "I'm all right, Jack".

Comment

Louis Cypher,

thank you, I still find the oh dears amusing but don't have so much time and motivation to find them and most of them have been done a thousand times.

Sorry for what appears to you as the I'm alright Jack stance, but what's wrong with from time to time, taking satisfaction in your little achievements in your little pond ?

Apologies if anybody is offended.

Milan.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it at all, Milan old bean, it was just most unlike you. Keep on posting.

P.S.
                Your plan 'B' isn't high quality home made and delivered to your doorstep bakery items is it?

Comment

It all doesn't matter just look those house price increases, Mr Average has pocketed about £80,000 over the last 10 years....f***
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                    It all doesn't matter just look those house price increases, Mr Average has pocketed about £80,000 over the last 10 years....f***
                    Only if he's sold up and gone to live in a hedge.

Comment

Working...
                    X