• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hot Air Balloon Riding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Air Balloon Riding

Just done one. Bit surreal really.

As the 'big' guy and 'youngest' I was tasked with hanging on to the ropes whole the big 100ft was inflated. I then had
    to 'jump' in as we took off.

It's quite surreal. As we floated off you get no feeling of height or wind or cold. As I floated gently across
    the landscape at 1000ft looking at the landscape below it felt like I was looking at a Google map. I longed to turn on the map/satelite merge so I could see where I was.

I felt no sense of connection or wonder
    I once flew around Everest in a small plane and was close to tears. With the balloon I was just a bit 'meh'

I think I've been working with computers too much.

Who else has done one and what did they feel?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I'll stick with an engine and instrumentation, it's called control.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Haven't done one, but saw one crash into some railings once (100m drop the other aside). Bet that was fun.

Did you have a nice landing?

Comment

I stopped riding blimps a while ago.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I stopped riding blimps a while ago.
          Divorce?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Haven't done one, but saw one crash into some railings once (100m drop the other aside). Bet that was fun.

Did you have a nice landing?
            I was landing crew. Everyone hung on apart from me and another fella who had to jump out, tip the basket over and then run round and grab the tether ropes.

Most exercise I've done for months. If I'd known I had to do some work I'd have bought an invoice.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I was landing crew. Everyone hung on apart from me and another fella who had to jump out, tip the basket over and then run round and grab the tether ropes.

Most exercise I've done for months. If I'd known I had to do some work I'd have bought an invoice.
              Reminds me of the time I went paragliding. I was so keen to get more glides in that I dragged the glider back up the slope for other's turns as well as my own.

Comment

As the 'big' guy I was tasked with hanging on to the ropes
                I was landing crew. If I'd known I had to do some work I'd have bought an invoice.
                You should've taken SY01 with you, he is big AND athletic.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I did one in Luxor.

I loved the sense of floating above the world. It wasn't scary at all, although got quite entertaining when we landed in a field of smouldering stubble and the pilot was panicking that the canopy was going to catch light.

Definitely got the wonder and awe. Shame you didn't - probably the physical exertions interfered with your inner calm!

Comment

Working...
                  X