• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment agencies asking if I have any interview comming up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment agencies asking if I have any interview comming up

Hi,

I have been trying to get into the contract from the perm. One question is asked by the recruitment agencies about my current job application activities (it might be same for perm. applications as well) is that ...

Do you have any interview comming up or had any interview recently?

Not sure what they are after? Are they asking am I a good candidate who can get interviews or something else.

It might be me being paranoid when it comes to recruitment agents!

Just want to know whats is a good answer.

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
    Just want to know whats is a good answer.
    The truth is usually a fairly good principle.

They could be trying to find out if you're worth taking forward by either having no interviews or by having so many you're likely to have an offer before they can get you in front of their client. They are agents, inhabitants of a sales target oriented netherworld and therefore simple people beyond human understanding. Don't try and second guess them, it's rarely worth the effort.

But make sure they know you don't have any firm offers under consideration.

Even if you have.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you have any interview comming up or had any interview recently?
      They are fishing for leads. Quite often they advertise bogus jobs to harvest CVs but more importantly get two references they can phone them up looking for leads and find out who is recruiting by casually asking who you have interviewed for. If you tell them then they will be straight on the phone to the client trying to get their people in there in front of you so only tell them if you've interviewed and didn't get the job.

Think of them as double glazing salesmen or estate agents and you are on the right track.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        The truth is usually a fairly good principle.

They could be trying to find out if you're worth taking forward by either having no interviews or by having so many you're likely to have an offer before they can get you in front of their client. They are agents, inhabitants of a sales target oriented netherworld and therefore simple people beyond human understanding. Don't try and second guess them, it's rarely worth the effort.

But make sure they know you don't have any firm offers under consideration.

Even if you have.
        I understand your point about being honest but would it be wise to be honest all the time with people whoes jobspec has "Telling lies to the candidates" as one of the skills

Comment

It can have a dual meaning.
          1. Are you so busy interviewing you'll have found a role before we can find you one.
          OR
          2. You are a sort after commodity who I'd like to work with.

Had an agency ring this morning, have a role, "Sorry but am signed up until March 2012 at the moment", and where are you, "back in the City".

They do try don't they.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I understand your point about being honest but would it be wise to be honest all the time with people whoes jobspec has "Telling lies to the candidates" as one of the skills
            You need to be a contractor for a while begfore you will understand that one. Not all agents are stupid, you are running a business and in one sense they are your customers. There are no black and white rules
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              You need to be a contractor for a while begfore you will understand that one. Not all agents are stupid, you are running a business and in one sense they are your customers. There are no black and white rules
              Good point.

Thanks

Comment

Just be honest, you don't have to give them names and telephone numbers. Telling them you're at RBS in Equities is no skin off your nose; you can ask them as well, what's happening how's the market etc. Have a chat, you're in it together, you want contracts and he wants you to be his contractor. If I know the manager is recruiting I'll point the agent to him, why not? the PM I've been working for is always happy to get a few good CV's from an agent. The market works much better when everyone knows what's going and who's available, than if everything is secretive. If that's the case projects will simply get canned because no-one knows whose available. A good PM needs good agents (ie agents with decent CV's) so he's always going to be happy to field a phone call, he can always say "no I'm not interested". Having sat right near the PM for a few months, made me realise how much they appreciate the calls being put through, they're not even going to mention your name.

Just think for a moment. Do you want your agent someone who just sits there waiting for telephone calls without asking anyone if there are opportunities?

If your agent is like that you won't get a contract.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 September 2011, 11:04.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yeah just be honest, if they try to probe for names/contact just tell them "nice try".

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    Yeah just be honest, if they try to probe for names/contact just tell them "nice try".
                    I tell them "You don't expect me to give out the names of the clients you put me forward for to other agencies do you?"

To which if they aren't fishing they always reply "No".

If they are fishing they start protesting so I suddenly just have to go and the call gets ended asap.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X