• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speechless: How to classify this one ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speechless: How to classify this one ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...142347,00.html

"A BANGLADESHI woman who shook a baby boy so violently that he suffered brain damage walked free from court yesterday because a judge conceded that she did not know how to behave in the West.
    Rahella Khanom, 24, caused the five-month-old boy in her care to suffer fractures to his breast bone and ribs as she tried to rid him of evil spirits, Southwark Crown Court was told.

The injuries inflicted on the child over several weeks had caused one side of his brain to shrink. It was believed that the boy would have been screaming in agony for eight weeks because his injuries went untreated.

Khanom, from Poplar, East London, said that she had wanted to purge the baby of evil spirits as it cried and cried. She was not found to be mentally ill.

The court was told that Khanom, a Muslim, did not understand that shaking a helpless baby would not exorcise an evil spirit.

",

speechless.

Milan.

agreed. How the fark?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Sounds "fair" enough.

Comment

Welcome to the perception of the success of "multiculturism" and "diversity".
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I think the main point is that people with beliefs like this and/or without the education and willingness to understand the laws of the country they are coming to should not be allowed in in the first place.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oooh, you can't say that Xog

Originally posted by xoggoth
            I think the main point is that people with beliefs like this and/or without the education and willingness to understand the laws of the country they are coming to should not be allowed in in the first place.
            That's barbarianist, expect to be sued anytime soon!
            Why not?

Comment

I can't even begin to express how angry this kind of thing makes me - I can only hope that the sentence will be appealed. Also, I could be talking crap here but isn't there something in law about ignorance being no defence? And even if she came from the most remote village in outer Mongolia isn't it common sense that violently shaking a baby is not likely to do it a whole lot of good?

Comment

Common sense, is that still legal?

Can you say that? Oh, you just did!
                Why not?

Comment

Do Muslims believe in "Evil Spirits"?

Just thought I'd throw that one in...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    Do Muslims believe in "Evil Spirits"?

Just thought I'd throw that one in...
                    Yes, evil spirits, djins and devils alike.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X