• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SKA news

Just calculated share of first payout to volunteer members who were running software since 2005, some CUK members like fiddleabout helped a lot at the time, sadly he seems to be gone and not responding to email so he is missing out on first payout

Top crawler gets over £1k

He should have got a paper round.

Comment

If I read the stats correctly, that one guy was responsible for over 10% of your entire crawling?

Comment

Right, I've done some maths and reckon you owe me 25 pence.

Where's my cheque dammit!

Congrats.

Comment

so a 1k payout over a 6 year / 72 month period equates effectively to just over £13 a month payment for allowing a volunteers pc to crawl during it's spare time.

now roughly guessing that a desktop uses 0.05 kWh energy per hour of usage with an average uk electricty cost of 10p p/kWh and they leave it crawling overnight while they're in bed (say 8 hrs)

so that equates to 0.5p/hr to use the computer
          4p per day
          £14.60 p/yr or £1.21 p/month

Not bad a £12 p/month profit for doing nothing
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I don't know how you can sleep at night making money from helping people manipulate search engine rankings making commercially oreinted sites appear above the relevant informative sites the people are really searching for

Dirty SEOlant!
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              I don't know how you can sleep at night making money from helping people manipulate search engine rankings making commercially oreinted sites appear above the relevant informative sites the people are really searching for
              We don't do that, in fact the opposite is true - those who manipulate rankings can be checked by their competitors as otherwise data would have been hidden.

HTH

Pondlife: you should have submitted your claim...

chef: he used more than one computer but it's not the last payout ...

Comment

There was a thread I started a couple of years ago about the cost of running a PC full on for a year, I think vectraMan got a power meter for a plug and worked out it was about 100 quid.

So if this guy has been running more than 2 machines he is at least 200 quid down for starters.

Comment

People who take part in DC project often run their PCs 24/7, it's just one of those things that they do anyway. It's the first payout anyway, there will be more for sure but in any case I never wanted people to join project for the money, it's just we've got a bit of cash and it's fair to split it between people who helped make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    we've got a bit of cash
                    Why not spend most of it on beer and hookers then squander the rest?

Comment

Working...
                    X