• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Got - Accommodation - Painful :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Got - Accommodation - Painful :(

Hey All!

So i have my contract signed and ready to rock and roll which is great.

The only downside is now i have to relocate for the role, which i don't mind. I found a cracking property to rent on a 12 month lease with a 6 month break clause.

I just had the results of my reference checks:

Credit Check =
    Previous LandLord Reference =
    Agency Reference to Support Rates & Duration =
    Rolling Contract =

Supposedly because i am on a rolling 3 month contract (which i have been for the past 3 years just with a different company) they want me to stump up 6 Months rent + Deposit + Fees which comes to an astronomical sum of money.

The only other alternative is to find someone to be a guarantor, which also seems to be troubling. Finding someone who either A) Has the full rent in savings or B) earns 3 x what i do is next to impossible (...even the agent and landlord agreed this!!).

I really am stumped what to do now, the only other viable alternative is to rent serviced accommodation which is silly money a night, but i guess not much else of a choice.

Just wondering what other people do in this situation?

Cheers!

Mr.T

Originally posted by MrT View Post
    Hey All!

The only downside is now i have to relocate for the role, which i don't mind. I found a cracking property to rent on a 12 month lease with a 6 month break clause.

Credit Check =
    Rolling Contract =

Supposedly because i am on a rolling 3 month contract (which i have been for the past 3 years just with a different company) they want me to stump up 6 Months rent + Deposit + Fees which comes to an astronomical sum of money.

The only other alternative is to find someone to be a guarantor, which also seems to be troubling. Finding someone who either A) Has the full rent in savings or B) earns 3 x what i do is next to impossible (...even the agent and landlord agreed this!!).

I really am stumped what to do now, the only other viable alternative is to rent serviced accommodation which is silly money a night, but i guess not much else of a choice.

Cheers!

Mr.T
    Bed and Breakfast and write it off against tax as business costs.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ask the landlord how he's finding the mortgage repayments at the moment ?

Comment

Hey All!

Credit Check =
        Rolling Contract =

Cheers!

Mr.T
        Is this in the UK?

Surely you're an employee for this purpose and your total income is salary plus divis.

Assuming of course you're Ltd.

Comment

Hey Guys!

Thanks for coming back

Geoff/Misch - Great ideas, the only problem i have is that the other half is down here on work already so we were hoping to get a place together!

Tractor - haha, i like the idea! Although my "salary" is by far below the rent being asked, so not sure how by raising that it would impact my final take-home salary. Plus as i have been through the motions with the landlord and external reference agency, changing the story now may do more damage than good...but i like the idea!

I guess its serviced accommodation then....

Mr.T

Comment

Hey All!

Credit Check =
            Rolling Contract =

Cheers!

Mr.T
            I would find another flat. Plenty more fish in the sea.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

We had this issue when trying to rent our previous place... they didn't really understand contracting, etc, so I just said "how about we pay you 6 months up front" and they shut up.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hey Guys!

Tractor - haha, i like the idea! Although my "salary" is by far below the rent being asked, so not sure how by raising that it would impact my final take-home salary. Plus as i have been through the motions with the landlord and external reference agency, changing the story now may do more damage than good...but i like the idea!

Mr.T
                well if you upped your salary you would just pay more tax on it so surely you would leave your salary as is .... are there no other properties?
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Hey All,

There are always more properties out there as we know, but, you know when you find "the one". The one you walk into and it takes you back a step and you just know its home? Thats the kind of place this is for me. I have been to countless house viewings and searched more sites than i thought possible.

Most of the properties were off-street parking (...and if you are a car-nut like myself thats a big worry) or don't like dogs, or don't even have a garden!.

This property scores all the right points and meets my criteria, but i genuinely feel the landlord is just being unreasonable. If they are unwilling to co-operate then i think my only option is to move on and find something else.

I had offered to pay 3 months rent up-front and a deposit, so if i were to have my contract ended (for the first time in 3 years, mind you) then they still have the minimum term paid on the let, but apparently thats not good enough, they just want the whole lot, or nothing...what a shame.

Cheers,

MrT

Comment

Always found landlords amenable to bit of modfication. Mind you, the sort of places I used to rent, they were just happy not to get a drug addict.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X