• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should offenders be sentenced?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should offenders be sentenced?

Reading about yet another NL initiative I thought I'd ask the question, given the current state of affairs it seems "Offenders sent to prison for 12 months or more are released at the half way point on licence", what the panel thought.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4924686.stm
    Life should mean life, 10 years should mean 10 years, no exceptions
    50.00%
    Judges should set a maximum, which can be reduced by good behaiviour, alternatives etc
    0.00%
    No fixed sentencing, judges should indicate an average which can be increased/reduced as appropriate
    13.64%
    Prisons are a waste of time, criminals should all be beheaded/deported to a remote island
    13.64%
    One persons crime is another man's search for self-meaning, we should support them on their journey
    9.09%
    Prisons are a waste of time, criminals should simply be tagged and returned to the community
    4.55%
    Set-up a 'pre-crime' unit where NL DNA's everyone at birth and detains people accordingly
    0.00%
    Hand the sentencing over to the victims, let jungle law prevail
    4.55%
    We need a review panel set up by the gov't to consider the options
    4.55%
    Last edited by Joe Black; 20 April 2006, 14:55.

My preferred option is missing:

Judges should set a minimum, which can be increased by bad behaviour, not being a model prisoner, etc.

Comment

Ahh this will be Mr Clark's brilliantly innovative idea of keeping an eye on dangerous criminals that have been let out early after a convicted paedophile repeatedly raped a 9 year old girl whilst out on licence. Only one way to ensure these animals don't reoffend - chop their bits off

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        My preferred option is missing:

Judges should set a minimum, which can be increased by bad behaviour, not being a model prisoner, etc.
        Thought of that one but left it out because some of the options seemed to overlap.

The other one I thought of including was the "Hang them all (the gov't that is)" choice for people like xoggoth.

Comment

I'm suprised that no one has yet voted for the NL 'pre-crime' (Prudence & Fairness Act 2007) option, where half the population is judged at birth to not be willing to pay enough taxes...

Comment

Working...
          X