• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Baggage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baggage

My small carry on suitcase looks like it has seen far better days and so I'm looking to purchase a new one.

What carry on luggage does everyone on here use?

The recommendations I've read on other forums seem to suggest:

Travelpro Crew 8 20"/22" Exapnadable Rollaboard
    Samsonite Pro-DLX3
    Samsonite b-lite 20"/22"

Anyone have any of these?
    Anyone ever have problems fitting a 22" case into the overhead bins on european flights?

Cheers

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I use either a rucksack or a small black sports bag. I saw a nice leather bag the other day, I forget where it was though.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No good contractor should be seen without one. Sorted!!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I use a sports bag that conforms to shape. Be aware that one cabin bag dimension may be quite small if you're going budget - e.g. 20cm for RyanAir. A squashy bag is also comfortable to carry slung around the shoulder.

Inches? You been reading Yank recommendations?

Comment

Just check the bag in

Advantages being:
          Don't have to lug a suitcase round the airport (and if your flight ends up delayed by 3 hours that can make a difference)
          Don't have to try and fit the suitace into the overhead lockers
          Don't have to worry about liquids
          You don't take up an unfairly large portion of the overhead bin

Disadvantages
          a small wait whilst someone else brings your baggage to you after the flight
          a very small chance of the baggage ending up lost/in the wrong airport.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Just check the bag in

Advantages being:
            Don't have to lug a suitcase round the airport (and if your flight ends up delayed by 3 hours that can make a difference)
            Don't have to try and fit the suitace into the overhead lockers
            Don't have to worry about liquids
            You don't take up an unfairly large portion of the overhead bin

Disadvantages
            a small wait whilst someone else brings your baggage to you after the flight
            You still need a cabin bag for laptop, camera, book and other sundries.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              You still need a cabin bag for laptop, camera, book and other sundries.
              regular laptop/work bag will do for that
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've also got a hybrid backpack, that is, a backpack with wheels. But I made the mistake of buying a small 40 litre capacity model which is too small and the wheels dig into my back. A bigger model might have worked out okay and would cost the same to store in the aircraft hold.

Comment

Advantages being:
                  Don't have to lug a suitcase round the airport (and if your flight ends up delayed by 3 hours that can make a difference) - it has wheels so it's hardly lugging, i mainly fly SAS, the worlds most punctual airline :-)
                  Don't have to try and fit the suitace into the overhead lockers - that's the point I'm looking at mainly, it seems 50cm/20" bags fit all main European airlines except the cheap ones which I never use.
                  Don't have to worry about liquids - small toothpaste, small deo, small aftershave, that's all the liquids i carry, all under 100ml each
                  You don't take up an unfairly large portion of the overhead bin - thats what they're there for?? the airlines set a quota per person 50x40x20 for example and so that's what I will maximise to my benefit

Disadvantages
                  a small wait whilst someone else brings your baggage to you after the flight - i fly mainly into/from Dusseldorf and Copenhagen both of which have 20-30mins usual waiting times for baggage, this in my current case makes the difference of getting the express trains and saving 3.5hrs total travel time per week or not and just missing the express trains (due to waiting for baggage) and having to get the local stopper train and arriving home circa midnight
                  Last edited by chef; 3 October 2011, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Inches? You been reading Yank recommendations?
                    yes, there seems to be no decent site uk or european based

Comment

Working...
                    X