• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Track Day / Driving Experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track Day / Driving Experience

Anyone done one of these?

Looking for something for MrsB's brithday, wondering if they are worth it for the time you get in the cars?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I did the Formula Fords day years ago and it was a good experience. 6 laps of Mallory wasn't long but it's the only time I would get in a Formula Ford so worth it would say. Is she a proper petrol head? It wasn't very glamerous so if you are not in to pretending to be a racing driver I am not sure what she will get out of it.

Thought about taking her to Go Ape or something. Even the girly girls that didn't like heights took to it like a duck to water and had a great time.

You could just buy her a Dyson like I did last year and suffer the consequences for 10 months and still counting.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Done a couple here: Castle Combe Circuit

The rally driving was good fun but I only got about 20 minutes driving out of the 3 hours I was there. The single seater Formula Ford was better value and you do get to go out alone and ignore the advice about keeping the revs below 4,000 rpm.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Was looking at this one at Rockingham or Donnington.

She is into her cars and it's probably the only way she's going to get to drive anything like these.

Edit : Forgot to add the link...

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/expe...ar-experience/
        Last edited by DaveB; 3 October 2011, 14:44.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I would definately go for Donnington just for the extra kudos as it is on TV more. It is a one of experience in the single seaters. So low down etc. Gotta be done once so go for it. She has other birthdays and xmas's coming for you to make up for it if she doesn't like it
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did the Ariel Atom experience at Rockingham and definately worth it just to say you have driven the car, good fun and a good circuit, the only thing i would say is you can get a photograph at the end for £25 which is nice but but for 35 you can have onboard video go for the video

Comment

I've done dozens of track days but always in my own cars.

From my experience, they grab your attention by saying you can drive a Lambo for only £99, but when you look into it, it's 4 laps as a passenger and then 4 laps with you driving. That equates to about 10 to 15 minutes, with the rest of the time spent bored out of your brain in a classroom learning what to use the circular disk is in front of you for...

A new ironing board cover every year...can't go wrong

Comment

I have done the 4 car thing at Brungtingthorpe (the track they often use on 5th gear). Ours were lotus Elise, Scooby impreza turbo nutter, 911 (956) and a Ferrari 360. We got about 5 laps in each with an instructor - some were good but the one in the porker upset a lot of people by being a shouty arrogant git who just bellowed instructions - actually I learnt quite a bit from him.

More recently (two weeks ago) I did a single seater drive at Rockingham. We did about 10-15 laps of the oval circuit - the cars are single seaters with ford zetec (Fiesta, Focus) engines so the acceleration isn't blistering, but they shift once you get going.

I would say it depends what you want - I get a thrill out of going that fast out of my normal comfort zone but still with me at the controls (can't stand fairground rides and roller coasters), however I am not under any misaprehension that I am the undiscovered Stig - I have zero talent and I'm just seeking a fun day where I can go home at the end with all my limbs and teeth intact.

If you are a bit more serious you may need to rethink - I had a barrell of laughs at both though and they weren't that expensive in the scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I would definately go for Donnington just for the extra kudos as it is on TV more. It is a one of experience in the single seaters. So low down etc. Gotta be done once so go for it. She has other birthdays and xmas's coming for you to make up for it if she doesn't like it
                  WHS^

Imagine driving in the same position as laying on a sun lounger, you struggle to see the track coming up at that height which adds to the drama, drop a gear too quick and the back wheels momentarily lock, floor it too early into a bend and you face the other way. I enjoyed overtaking all the Lotus and WRX's on the way round, just breezing passed a turbo charged scooby is an experience in itself.

The most fun I've had apart from maybe paragliding?
                  Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 October 2011, 17:26.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have a better idea. Why not hirer a vintage car for an extended weekend. We used these guys a while back for a birthday present.

Classic Car Hire Sussex and Hampshire Vintage Wedding Car Hire | Vanilla Classics

I fancy the Cobra

What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X