• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than 1 Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than 1 Ltd company

Hi there

Was wondering if there was any reason not to have 2 limited companies?

Jubilee
    Last edited by jubilee; 3 October 2011, 16:39.

You can have as many as you want!

However, you may want to consider common control, which can factor into both VAT and Corporation Tax.

What are you wanting to do, and what end result do you want to achieve?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Hi Clare

I currently have 1 Ltd company and am VAT registered (voluntarily) - so I want to remove that as I haven't earned the ceiling threshold and unlikely to do so.

Jubillee

Comment

Originally posted by jubilee View Post
        Hi Clare

I currently have 1 Ltd company and am VAT registered (voluntarily) - so I want to remove that as I haven't earned the ceiling threshold and unlikely to do so.

Jubillee
        If you're doing B2B work then it's usually beneficial to be VAT registered and usually is revenue neutral.

I have two companies and have them as a VAT group meaning no VAT on intra-group business and a single VAT return. Just needs very precise books to make sure the accounts are right.

Comment

Hi Clare

Jubillee
          You can simply de-register for VAT if you're below the limit, although it may still be worth being registered if you can benefit from the Flat Rate VAT scheme.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Hi Clare

Jubillee
            Hi Jubillee

As Clare said, it may be worth staying registered and joining the flat rate VAT scheme (if eligible) as this can bring in some extra income to the company. Depending on turnover and category this could easily save you £1-2k+ each year.

If you want any more details on this just let me know.

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X