• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance .........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance .........

Hi all

I was searching the net trying to find out about SC clearance jobs with convictions and this forum came up prominantly. Here Goes ........

I recently was offered a job by my sponser which requires SC clearance, i have sent away my disclousure etc.
    Problem is when i was younger i got into a bit of bother, stupid things but i have got quite a few convivtions. Breach of Peace x 5, Drink Driving and an Assault. this all happened between the age of 16-23, young and stupid.
    I never wanted to send my disclousure til i was sure of the exact dates which i requested from the police under data protection, my sponsor needed the disclousure sent asap so i had to guess dates which now i have actual police records were slightly out. i did declare my convivtions for assault, DD and breach of peace x 2, I was actually shocked it was x 5 when i got the records from the police through.
    The last of my convictions was 30 months ago ........................ Have i got no chance of this clearance ??

Feedback would be great. Thanks

This is nothing more than anecdotal evidence but I've certainly met at least one person with an SC who had a few convictions for GBH and the like in his younger days. The important thing is to declare everything fully and honestly. This is what he did and it wasn't a problem. If you've made a mistake contact the relevant security officer and tell them asap. If it's an honest mistake it's not a problem. Last thing I heard was that SCs were taking 3-5 months to be processed as there's a new electronic systems in place and it has "issues".

If the convictions are all in the distant past it's generally not too much of a problem, what the vetting process is looking for (and tbh it's not as thorough as it was back in the old days) is if a third party has leverage over you. Debts, gambling and drug problems are a far bigger concern. If you're open and honest it's often less of a problem but there are no guarantees.

Don't be worried if the DVA come back with further questions, I've been through the process five or six times in the last 15 years and each time I fill in the paperwork they come back with (the same) additional questions. I give the exact same answers each time and then I get my clearance.

Hope this helps,

UBP

Comment

No personal experience (I've had SC in the past but only speeding convictions) - but received wisdom on here is you're more likely to fail for lying than what the convictions are within reason. I guess it depends on the role. I would hope the Police or anything related would turn you down, but if it's an IT role I don't see the relevance - then again I'm not in charge.

Comment

If I had to guess I'd say the relatively recent conviction (30 months ago) might be a problem. Is there enough time to indicate reform? Also, forgetting about 3 convictions doesn't look so clever.
        I'd agree the OP needs to amend his application though. He'll look very dodgy if he doesn't.
        OP - if you've given up your old ways I wish you the best of luck.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You're not Scottish as well by any chance?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            You're not Scottish as well by any chance?
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Nah.

Comment

Nah.

Is that one of your wedding photos ?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Is that one of your wedding photos ?
                  No. It must be one of yours, as that's a midget dressed as a young boy.

Meanwhile

Comment

No. It must be one of yours, as that's a midget dressed as a young boy.

That's why I thought it was your Mrs. Except for the fact that it's awake of course.........

Comment

Working...
                    X