• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European politicians plot to block UK veto on 'Tobin tax'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European politicians plot to block UK veto on 'Tobin tax'

Dr Kay Swinburne, spokesman for economic and monetary affairs, told a group of regulators in Manchester that Britain cannot afford to "relax" and rely on its veto to block the controversial FTT.

She said a group led by Algirdas Semeta, the European tax commissioner, had "already started work" on presenting FTT as a "valued added tax" - which could be imposed without being ratified by a vote.

Dr Swinburne made the comments at a private breakfast at the Tory party conference where the business fringe events are being dominated by debates on Britain's relationship with Brussels.

Last week, Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission, announced that the FTT would be proposed as a law for the first time as a way for the "financial sector to make a contribution back to society".

The move was criticised as a "tax on the City of London" where almost 80pc of Europe's financial services are based.

Since all European tax changes have to be approved unanimously, the British Government immediately said it would use its veto to block the tax unless it was "levied globally".

In his "state of the union" address, Mr Barroso said the tax could generate revenues of more than €55bn (£47bn) a year. He said: "In the last three years, member states have granted aid and provided guarantees of €4.6 trillion to the financial sector."He added: "It is a question of fairness. If our farmers, if our workers, if all the sectors of the economy from industry to agriculture to services, if they all pay a contribution to the society, also the banking sector should make a contribution to the society."

The European tax would levy trades in shares and bonds at a rate of 0.1pc and derivative contracts at a rate of 0.01pc from Jan 2014. (AtW's comment: not near big enough rate for derivatives.)

Dr Neil Bentley, the deputy director–general of the CBI, said introducing the tax was "completely misguided" at a time of economic uncertainty.

----------

I mean FFS, what's the problem - Baffet has been doing nicely with long term investments into good businesses, there is no economic need whatsoever for high frequency trading. Maybe with all that hot money out of trading hot air some would go to genuine companies, maybe even those of them based in the West.

Quite right.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

London might suffer, but whose fault is that? You should never put all your eggs in one basket.
      Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        She said a group led by Algirdas Semeta, the European tax commissioner, had "already started work" on presenting FTT as a "valued added tax" - which could be imposed without being ratified by a vote.
        So a group of people no-one voted for are fiddling the regulations purely in order to disadvantage the UK.

Remind me again why the UK wants to be a member of this crock of shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Remind me again why the UK wants to be a member of this crock of shit?
          Euro zone can basically enforce rules related to euro currency as they see fit - dirty spekulators will have to focus on weaker currencies issue by Govt who don't give a tulip about being ruined for the sake of someone getting new sports car for Christmas.

Comment

We are one foot in the grave but unlike Germany we are not waste deep asking the Greeks, Italians, Portuguese, Spanish and Irish to keep shoveling. Europe knows the UK are in Europe, we cannot avoid that fact but they know we know we made the right choice when we decided not to join this great boondoggle.

Comment

Euro zone can basically enforce rules related to euro currency as they see fit - dirty spekulators will have to focus on weaker currencies issue by Govt who don't give a tulip about being ruined for the sake of someone getting new sports car for Christmas.
              This is not primarily a eurozone matter. By crock of shit I was referring to the current level of European integration.

Comment

I mean FFS, what's the problem - Baffet has been doing nicely with long term investments into good businesses, there is no economic need whatsoever for high frequency trading. Maybe with all that hot money out of trading hot air some would go to genuine companies, maybe even those of them based in the West.
                Like it or not, when trading became electronic, technology became important. Asking people not to make money from using technology to gain an advantage is pretty naive, any more than asking any company to stop using technology to gain advantage in their market place. It's never gonna happen, human nature won't allow it.

Anyway, it provides a lot of us technologists with economic benefits, in the form of cold hard cash for services rendered.
                Last edited by snaw; 4 October 2011, 10:59.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Anyway, it provides a lot of us technologists with economic benefits, in the form of cold hard cash for services rendered.
                  I knew you were stupid but did not know your brain in incapable even of simple forward calculations.

Comment

I'm right and you're wrong!

Therefore I'm going to rely on childish insults to reinforce my case!

Your Mother is a Hamster!!!

There, I bet that hurt!
                    Ftfy.

Comment

Working...
                    X